Twelve South Launches BookBook and All-New Journal Case for iPhone 7

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today launched the latest in its line of BookBook cases, this one for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Like previous editions, the new BookBook includes wallet slots for credit cards and a driver's license, all housed in a vintage leather-bound case that looks like an old novel. A removable shell protects the iPhone 7 both inside of and out of BookBook, and the case can fold into a stand for the smartphone when viewing videos.

BookBook for iPhone 7

The company noted that the design for iPhone 7 does have a few differences this time around, including:

Upgraded card slot and wallet design to prevent stretching and pilling
Dark interior finish to better resist dirt and dust
All-new Book spine design to add variety to your library
Additionally, Twelve South is launching "Journal for iPhone," a new leather-bound wallet case that's made exclusively for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Journal is a more basic leather case that doesn't have BookBook's novel aesthetic, but matches that case's design with credit card slots, a detachable composite shell, and built-in viewing stand.

Journal for iPhone 7

Since 2010, Twelve South has curated a library of cases called BookBook. We are pleased to announce today that not only do we have your favorite vintage BookBook available for the iPhone 7, but we are also introducing an all-new edition called Journal. Modernizing the story, Journal is our newest and most luxurious case. Crafted in full-grain leather covering both inside and out, this handsome folio presents a more refined, clean design. Like BookBook, Journal features slots for cards, cash and ID, streamlining your everyday carry in style.
BookBook for iPhone 7 is available for $59.99 in black and brown, while Journal for iPhone is available for $69.99 in black and cognac.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches BookBook and All-New Journal Case for iPhone 7

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I like the idea, but the Journal would be the one, and isn't for the SE. Also, when you bend the case around to use it as a phone, it often causes issues with the audio. I like the general idea though.

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
They keep making these and selling them at a higher price point than most case so there must be some value here, presumably in build quality. The design is not my preference, but what I really don't like is the name: book book. Like it just seems... dumb.

Reactions: SteveW928

ck2875

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I still find this type of case to be very awkward, showing all the CC and ID when talking on the phone.
Not even that. I have seen someone using these on public transit and they had a credit card in the slot where the ID is in this photo. I was sitting behind them and could read the numbers on it. I can't believe that some people are that trusting of others, but I'll admit that I'm a cynical person.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Twelve South products are generally good (Book Arc etc), but I've always found these cases to be hideously ugly.

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
I wouldn't use one without a screen protector since cc can rub against the glass. Hate these kind of cases.

4ndr3w

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Chicago
Isn't it weird to anyone else Macrumors posts about every new Twelve South product? Native ads anyone...?

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
My friend has a previous version of this and it is a very nice piece of kit. The materials are good and I like the different look. Too expensive for me personally, but each to their own.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
My friend has a previous version of this and it is a very nice piece of kit. The materials are good and I like the different look. Too expensive for me personally, but each to their own.
Yea, as I said above, aside from the issues, I like the general concept. I don't carry much in my wallet anymore (though *have* to carry a couple of cards. I also don't talk on the phone much anymore either, so that's less of an issue, but it would be a pain to take calls when they aren't planned (i.e. bluetooth or wired). If they made a Journal version for the SE, I'd be tempted.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I still find this type of case to be very awkward, showing all the CC and ID when talking on the phone.
When you hold and talk on the phone, your hand is covering this area anyways. I also don't see many people holding a phone anymore to talk, it's all earpieces or Bluetooth.

I imagine someone in a city just running up and grabbing the phone ... there goes your $1000 phone and all your money.
I love wallet cases because I hate carrying an actual wallet. I carry $5 (if I have any cash and I doubt anyone carries "all their money" with them), drivers license, and one CC. I go to downtown Chicago a lot and yet to have an issue, then again I'm not walking around and talking on the phone. I also have a Bluetooth, so no need to take my phone out of my pocket anyways if I don't want too.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
When you hold and talk on the phone, your hand is covering this area anyways. I also don't see many people holding a phone anymore to talk, it's all earpieces or Bluetooth.
I love wallet cases because I hate carrying an actual wallet. I carry $5 (if I have any cash and I doubt anyone carries "all their money" with them), drivers license, and one CC. I go to downtown Chicago a lot and yet to have an issue, then again I'm not walking around and talking on the phone. I also have a Bluetooth, so no need to take my phone out of my pocket anyways if I don't want too.
Do you have issues with audio quality due to the second noise-canceling mic (I think by the camera?) being covered?

The problem, IMO, with earpieces and BT, is that you have to have them in all the time to take unexpected calls (or just don't take them, I suppose). I wouldn't want to wear one all the time.

And, yes, I don't carry much cash either (I often have none), but it would be more replacing various forms of ID, and here in Canada nearly everything is chip-card tap enabled, so a thief could easily spend more with a card than I'd have cash anyway.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Journal is a more basic leather case that doesn't have BookBook's novel aesthetic, but matches that case's design with credit card slots, a detachable composite shell, and built-in viewing stand.
This is wrong. There is no detachable shell in the "Journal" model. Their website says the following in the FAQ section:

Is the interior shell removable?

No. The interior composite shell is incorporated into the folio surround and cannot be removed
This is too bad because I might consider the Journal if it was. I don't care for the aesthetics on the other one. However, I can't help but think that cases like this will be much better in the future when phones are even thinner, but by then all of those cards will most likely be replaced.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've been waiting for an iPhone 7 BookBook since launch day, but after (somewhat literally) hacking the BookBook from my 6 (I just reamed out the camera hole a little to make room for the bigger camera), I'm not entirely sure I need one unless this one wears out.

Speaks well of the durability, though--still in good shape and looking pretty good even after >2 years in my pocket.

The Journal is really nice looking and I'd definitely get it over the BookBook except for the fact that it doesn't have the removable inner shell. I rarely take it out, but that's awfully handy when for some reason you do need to take your phone out of the case, and it isn't even any thiner as a result. A hair thicker, actually. That's really too bad.

Aside: I really love my BookBook--I went looking for a wallet case when I realized I only ever carried an ID and a couple of credit cards and might as well just attach one to my case, and came up with the BookBook as the best balance of style and functionality.

Its only disadvantage (aside from being relatively thick, although no thicker than the no-phone wallet I used to carry) is that the section of material just above the ID bulges out a little since all the cards overlap behind it, and ends up rubbing on the screen. It didn't significantly damage the screen over 2 years of use, but I didn't really like it, so I eventually stuck a thin, correctly-sized piece of microfiber glasses cleaning cloth into the paper money area so it covers the whole surface of the phone.

That worked really well, and actually has the side effect of cleaning some fingerprints off the screen while it bounces around in my pocket. It's not the most beautiful thing in the world, but whatever, it works well. Makes me wish they included such a cloth attached to a correctly sized insert with the thing (or made the interior out of microfiber rather than stitched suede or whatever this stuff is.

Actually, there is one other thing I don't like--after about 2 years (and with probably some stretching, when I reduced the number of cards I carry) the top slot has become kind of loose, so if I turn the thing upside down when it's open, the cards sometimes fall out. It's not so common it's a deal-breaker or has pushed me to replace it, but it is kinda silly.
[doublepost=1481852816][/doublepost]
Also, when you bend the case around to use it as a phone, it often causes issues with the audio. I like the general idea though.
Do you have issues with audio quality due to the second noise-canceling mic (I think by the camera?) being covered?
Having used a BookBook with a 6 for 2 years and a 7 since launch day, I'm aware of worries about the noise cancelling mic on the back getting messed up when you fold the case in half to use the phone as a phone...

...but actually, I've never noticed this in practice. The mic technically isn't completely covered, since it's still exposed in the camera/flash hole and there's a small gap between that area and the front of the case when it's folded in half, and if you're worried you can pretty easily stick one finger between the front and back of the case to create a gap there (I believe Twelve South recommended this somewhere).

I've never heard anybody complain when I didn't do that, though. Makes me think I should run a test. If I can talk my wife into it tonight I'll experiment.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I have an ultra-cheap generic case like this that handles it nicely - the back is "double-hinged", so when you fold the front back, you can fold it so that the cards are facing in, not out. That mechanism does make it thicker than one that only folds straight back, though. I only use it when I want "minimal stuff in pockets," not as my everyday case, though.

Attachments

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
However, I can't help but think that cases like this will be much better in the future when phones are even thinner, but by then all of those cards will most likely be replaced.
Maybe someday, but I think that might be a while out. Before there's even a chance of that happening, the gov't is going to have to do something about primary IDs we often have to have with us. It isn't just a matter of credit cards and/or store cards, etc. And, if you have to have one, what's the difference of having a few more? For me, it's kind of all or nothing before I'll care.
(Also, I understand Apple Pay is kind of a novel thing in the USA, but in Canada, we've had chip and 'tap' type systems for quite some time. So, it's probably easier to just tap a credit card instead of fiddling with a phone or watch anyway (if you have to have your wallet).

Having used a BookBook with a 6 for 2 years and a 7 since launch day, I'm aware of worries about the noise cancelling mic on the back getting messed up when you fold the case in half to use the phone as a phone...

...but actually, I've never noticed this in practice. The mic technically isn't completely covered, since it's still exposed in the camera/flash hole and there's a small gap between that area and the front of the case when it's folded in half, and if you're worried you can pretty easily stick one finger between the front and back of the case to create a gap there (I believe Twelve South recommended this somewhere).

I've never heard anybody complain when I didn't do that, though. Makes me think I should run a test. If I can talk my wife into it tonight I'll experiment.
Thanks so much for that great review. That certainly pushes me more in this direction... though provably from some other company. Or, maybe this and some other case I can trade depending on my needs. I'd love to ditch the wallet.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California

I used to love wallet cases as well. Until I left my phone in my friends car (after a long night lol) and didn't get it back for a week. Last time I used a wallet case haha.