Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today launched a new product called the "StayGo," which is a portable hub that connects to USB-C MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

StayGo.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Twelve South and Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

According to the company, the hub restores all eight legacy ports and connections to modern Mac notebooks. This includes: three USB-A ports (USB 3.0), one 4K HDMI port, one Gigabit Ethernet port, two USB-C ports (one for power input and one for connecting to the computer), and independent SD and Micro-SD card ports.

The StayGo comes with a 1-meter cable that is long enough to hide the accessory and its connected cables out of sight when you're working at home. The company is pitching the new device as a combination home and travel companion, which means that it also includes a 6-inch travel cord (seen below on the right) that stores inside the hub.

StayGo-2.jpg

StayGo is available for $99.99 on TwelveSouth.com and at Amazon.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches 'StayGo' USB-C Hub With Eight Ports

Last edited:

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
4K at only 30Hz. Pass.

(Too bad—otherwise it looks like a great product.)

problem is, it's a limitation of the format. 4K@60Hz takes up too much bandwidth, the USB can't go faster than USB2 speeds with that going on, the ethernet would be likewise strangled. Is why I reckoned Thunderbolt 3 is really the only way to go. (And the Retina Macbook too limited in being without it.)

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
Watching him unplug the cable without ejecting the drive first gives me the same level of anxiety as watching Brienne of Tarth close the book before the ink dried.

problem is, it's a limitation of the format. 4K@60Hz takes up too much bandwidth, the USB can't go faster than USB2 speeds with that going on, the ethernet would be likewise strangled. Is why I reckoned Thunderbolt 3 is really the only way to go. (And the Retina Macbook too limited in being without it.)

HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort are both 60Hz, and there are several dongles that support have supported that for years. The CalDigit HDMI/DP dongles support multiple 4k monitors at 60Hz, so maybe the solution is just don't provide power pass-through. 30Hz is a dealbreaker in any product released after 2015.

Last edited:

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
4K at only 30Hz. Pass.

(Too bad—otherwise it looks like a great product.)

This is why I bought a cheap $30 hub similar to this one from some Chinese company off Amazon. If you want 4K 60hz, just grab a suitable $15 USB-C to HDMI dongle, there are a ton of options. The thunderbolt 3 hubs are a lot more expensive.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I got excited when I first saw this because I thought it was the USB-A/USB-C 8-port travel charger of my dreams. I should have known better, because it's just not gonna happen any time soon. USB-C uses too much power.

HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort are both 60Hz, and there are several dongles that support have supported that for years. The CalDigit HDMI/DP dongles support multiple 4k monitors at 60Hz, so maybe the solution is just don't provide power pass-through. 30Hz is a dealbreaker in any product released after 2015.

It has nothing to do with that. 4K 60Hz uses almost all of the 10Gbps that a single USB-C uses. By doing 4K 30Hz, they cut in half the bandwidth, allowing other USB ports, ethernet, SD cards, etc to all function over the same cable. I have done extensive searching and have never seen one, outside of Thunderbolt 3.0 that uses the USB-C connector, that can do 4K 60Hz AND provide all of the other ports. But I do have a USB-C to 4K 60Hz HDMI adapter that works quite well—I just can't use that port for anything else at the same time.

Reactions: Krevnik

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Tell that to Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter that is capable of 4K 60 Hz with HDR. With 10 Gbps bandwidth, Twelve South should have added HDMI 2.0 support with 4K 60 Hz.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
You have to take into consideration ALL of the ports working at full capacity at the same time.
You certainly have a point and I am not sure how Belkin is achieving 4K 60 Hz HDR over 10 Gbps USB-C when such wizardly would normally require 18 Gbps HDMI bandwidth.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Tell that to Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter that is capable of 4K 60 Hz with HDR. With 10 Gbps bandwidth, Twelve South should have added HDMI 2.0 support with 4K 60 Hz.

That adapter uses the DisplayPort alt mode on the USB port. To do 4K@60Hz with 8-bit color and 4:4:4 (4:2:0 will make text look bad), you need nearly 18Gbps. DisplayPort alt mode can do it, but doing that, along with the 10Gbps of USB 3.1 Gen 2 can’t be done over a single cable.

You can have a USB hub, or 4K@60, but not both if you want to be compatible with a regular USB-C port. If you want both, you need to use Thunderbolt so you have the headroom.

EDIT: Now I see your follow up post. Yeah, the reason you can get the 18Gbps is because of the DisplayPort alt mode. Much like TB3 being able to use 40Gbps on the same port. But doing that prevents you from getting the USB bandwidth as well.

If you are talking about these: https://www.caldigit.com/mini-dock, those are Thunderbolt docks, not USB. And those can start to choke the USB/Ethernet ports if you actually push two 4K displays.

Last edited:

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011

I think you misunderstood. Yes, USB-C can carry 4K@60Hz. But it can't do that and support USB-3 speeds, or gigabit ethernet speeds. So a dedicated dongle adapter to HDMI or DP is fine. But if you look at Caldigit's USB-C dock, you'll see its video limitations are a bit more severe, and make for familiar reading to the StayGo specs:

"... resolutions including 4K UHD @ 30Hz, 2K QHD @ 30Hz & 60Hz, and Full HD 1080p @ 30Hz & 60Hz."

A bit more flexible when used with Windows (because of MST support):

"... up to two discrete 4K UHD displays @ 30Hz, 2K QHD displays @ 30Hz & 60Hz in extended mode, or a single 4K UHD display @ 60Hz"

Similarly if you get one of a number of USB-C monitors that now exist, you'll find if you read carefully that you can plug it in and have 4K@60Hz to the display (with PD), but the USB downstream ports on the back of the monitor would only work at USB-2 speeds if you do that. It's fine if all you're plugging into it is keyboard/mouse or receivers thereof, but not if you wanted to get good speeds from an SSD, for instance, or a USB-3 gigabit ethernet dongle. Or you can have that, but you have to drop the resolution and/or refresh rate.

No such limitations with Thunderbolt 3. I see Caldigit have a couple of TB3 Mini-Dock products now which would do dual 4K@60Hz without any problems (as long as the computer's graphics were up to it). FWIW I have the now slightly obsolete Caldigit TS3 and it's great. (can't actually see what the difference is with the current TS3Plus, except the darker colour.)

(edit: there is no difference, I'd forgotten what i have is the TS3Plus. Not sure there ever was a TS3 without the plus. Which makes me slightly nonplussed. They have added a "space grey"ish option.)

[doublepost=1563923042][/doublepost]

It's just an adapter. 4K@60Hz goes down a USB-C cable, but not with USB-3 speeds as well, but that doesn't matter for a single purpose HDMI/DP adapter dongle. If a dock even allows it, it would have to downgrade the USB ports to USB-2 speeds. As do 4K USB-C monitors. Unless you stick to a lower resolution/refresh rate.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I got excited when I first saw this because I thought it was the USB-A/USB-C 8-port travel charger of my dreams. I should have known better, because it's just not gonna happen any time soon. USB-C uses too much power.

It has nothing to do with that. 4K 60Hz uses almost all of the 10Gbps that a single USB-C uses. By doing 4K 30Hz, they cut in half the bandwidth, allowing other USB ports, ethernet, SD cards, etc to all function over the same cable. I have done extensive searching and have never seen one, outside of Thunderbolt 3.0 that uses the USB-C connector, that can do 4K 60Hz AND provide all of the other ports. But I do have a USB-C to 4K 60Hz HDMI adapter that works quite well—I just can't use that port for anything else at the same time.
I think you misunderstood. Yes, USB-C can carry 4K@60Hz. But it can't do that and support USB-3 speeds, or gigabit ethernet speeds. So a dedicated dongle adapter to HDMI or DP is fine. But if you look at Caldigit's USB-C dock, you'll see its video limitations are a bit more severe, and make for familiar reading to the StayGo specs:

"... resolutions including 4K UHD @ 30Hz, 2K QHD @ 30Hz & 60Hz, and Full HD 1080p @ 30Hz & 60Hz."

A bit more flexible when used with Windows (because of MST support):

"... up to two discrete 4K UHD displays @ 30Hz, 2K QHD displays @ 30Hz & 60Hz in extended mode, or a single 4K UHD display @ 60Hz"

Similarly if you get one of a number of USB-C monitors that now exist, you'll find if you read carefully that you can plug it in and have 4K@60Hz to the display (with PD), but the USB downstream ports on the back of the monitor would only work at USB-2 speeds if you do that. It's fine if all you're plugging into it is keyboard/mouse or receivers thereof, but not if you wanted to get good speeds from an SSD, for instance, or a USB-3 gigabit ethernet dongle. Or you can have that, but you have to drop the resolution and/or refresh rate.

No such limitations with Thunderbolt 3. I see Caldigit have a couple of TB3 Mini-Dock products now which would do dual 4K@60Hz without any problems (as long as the computer's graphics were up to it). FWIW I have the now slightly obsolete Caldigit TS3 and it's great. (can't actually see what the difference is with the current TS3Plus, except the darker colour.)

(edit: there is no difference, I'd forgotten what i have is the TS3Plus. Not sure there ever was a TS3 without the plus. Which makes me slightly nonplussed. They have added a "space grey"ish option.)

[doublepost=1563923042][/doublepost]

It's just an adapter. 4K@60Hz goes down a USB-C cable, but not with USB-3 speeds as well, but that doesn't matter for a single purpose HDMI/DP adapter dongle. If a dock even allows it, it would have to downgrade the USB ports to USB-2 speeds. As do 4K USB-C monitors. Unless you stick to a lower resolution/refresh rate.

Yeah, I get the bandwidth issue. What's missing is some common sense from these manufacturers. 30Hz is a dealbreaker. It shouldn't even be an option. It's like a connecting flight with a 30 min layover. The goal shouldn't be a passive one-port solution to rule them all (at the cost of 60Hz).

For example, a double dongle solution could be:
  • Power + signal: HDMI 2 + DisplayPort 1.4 @ 60Hz
  • Power + data (various USB, cards, etc): + ethernet
But as it currently stands, there are several options I don't need, and too many compromises to accomplish the few basic connections I'm trying to replace (from missing ports). It's like trying to buy a Toyota, and there are 10 different packages that are in conflict with each other.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, I get the bandwidth issue. What's missing is some common sense from these manufacturers. 30Hz is a dealbreaker. It shouldn't even be an option. It's like a connecting flight with a 30 min layover. The goal shouldn't be a passive one-port solution to rule them all (at the cost of 60Hz).

For example, a double dongle solution could be:
  • Power pass through + HDMI 2 + DisplayPort 1.4 @ 60Hz
  • Data (various USB, cards, etc) + ethernet
Or combine power with data and ethernet if there's an advantage to that...

But as it currently stands, there are several options I don't need, and too many compromises to accomplish the few basic connections I'm trying to replace (from missing ports). It's like trying to buy a Toyota, and there are 10 different packages that are in conflict with each other.
Yeah, USB-C should have been 20Gbps right out of the gate. What you're looking for is USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, and yes, that is the actual name for 20Gbps USB, lol. If I remember right it's coming out sometime this year, so it might be in the redesigned MBP this autumn. There is also USB 4 around the bend and it is based on Thunderbolt, so everything should get much faster and much cheaper in a couple years. The specs are supposed to be finalized around now but usually don't show up in shipping products until a year or two later. However, I'm wondering since Apple is already so invested into Thunderbolt and all their ports are backwards compatible already if they will be ready sooner in time for the redesigned MBP. Just don't expect there to be many non-Thunderbolt (and therefore less expensive) accessories that take advantage of the 40Gbps.

Reactions: 4487549

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, USB-C should have been 20Gbps right out of the gate. What you're looking for is USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, and yes, that is the actual name for 20Gbps USB, lol. If I remember right it's coming out sometime this year, so it might be in the redesigned MBP this autumn. There is also USB 4 around the bend and it is based on Thunderbolt, so everything should get much faster and much cheaper in a couple years. The specs are supposed to be finalized around now but usually don't show up in shipping products until a year or two later. However, I'm wondering since Apple is already so invested into Thunderbolt and all their ports are backwards compatible already if they will be ready sooner in time for the redesigned MBP. Just don't expect there to be many non-Thunderbolt (and therefore less expensive) accessories that take advantage of the 40Gbps.

Yep, and coming from a 2014 MBP, I'll be happy to use just 2 ports on the left side of my laptop. That means no cables in the way of my mouse on the right side, and 1 fewer cable in the way of the keypad on the left (bringing it closer in alignment with the keyboard). I've been carrying around at least 1 dongle (ethernet) for nearly a decade, so 2 ports/dongles is a win for me because of those gains.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
If I remember right it's coming out sometime this year, so it might be in the redesigned MBP this autumn
I was under the impression current Macs with the Titan Ridge (Alpine Ridge also maybe?) controllers would support 20Gbps USB and USB4 natively at correct speeds instead of falling back to legacy 10Gbps protocol?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was under the impression current Macs with the Titan Ridge (Alpine Ridge also maybe?) controllers would support 20Gbps USB and USB4 natively at correct speeds instead of falling back to legacy 10Gbps protocol?
That would be great news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.