Twice now fan goes rogue on 15 MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tenashus1, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

This is now the second time that the fan(s) have gone rogue at roughly 6200 rpm on my 2015 13" rMBP. The fan is running as the computer sits on and is idle with the lid closed. I look at the Activity Monitor and it shows the resources at 94% idle. I am using El Capitan v. 10.11.4. I've had MBPs before that had thee fans going when streaming video in the past, but I've never had one that had fans running like crazy when nothing at all is going on. I am at a loss to figure out what's going on here. I have always left my computers on with the lid closed, but now I'm shutting down overnight. In this case, it was just sitting next to me and, boom, it sounded like lift off. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Had the same issue 2 weeks back on my 15" rMBP. Fan went rogue once while I was surfing the net.
    What I noticed was that the keyboard / hand rest area was heating up.
    Once the fan started getting louder, I did an immediate restart.

Everything went back to norma after the restart, and the heating also ceased.
    rMBP was running for > 2 weeks without a restart (only closing lid every time I'm done) and ~4 hours before the heat up, I was watching a movie with it hooked to the TV.

My guess is that something in the background was running the display chip in a loop, resulting in the heat up.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Try an SMC and NVRam reset there are guides on apples website.

4. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trying the turning off Power Nap feature in the energy saver preference. A Genius suggested it to me at the Apple Store. Next will be SMC if this doesn't help.

5. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yet another rogue fan episode. Tried SMC and NVRam to no avail. Taking it into Apple Store.