Twirlbox - blatant rip off of Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hakuin, Jan 28, 2011.

1. hakuin, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

hakuin macrumors regular

I heard of a new online backup and syncing app called Twirlbox recently, and after browsing the site and experimentally downloading the software it seems to have been placed quite intentionally to compete with Dropbox (although, mobile device and windows syncing features are yet to come on Twirlbox).

I should say I do use and enjoy using Dropbox a lot.

Twirlbox offers 3GB of free storage compared to 2GB on Dropbox, and paid plans on Twirlbox tend to undercut those on Dropbox by some 20%.

The positioning of this new app seems a bit cynical. Anyone with good intel on this?

Edit: I just looked at Activity Monitor to compare the two processes. While Dropbox runs on idle with CPU 0.0%, Memory 37MB, and minimal network access, Twirlbox CPU fluctuates from 0 to 20% continuously, Memory 44MB, and is continuously network-active. Although, Twirlbox does note it is still beta.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Competition is always good. So far, Dropbox has been the only successful service providing something like that, meaning that it has been able to charge as much as they want. If a good competitor shows up, they might have to lower their prices or offer new features.