Twisted battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nuks, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I dropped my macbook today. It was in a sleeve, but when I turned it on next, the optical drive was making strange noises. Upon awaking, it would rev up four or five times before quieting down. That has since resolved itself, but then things got worse. I put my macbook on the table and it was wobbly. The whole bottom case (which was just replaced two days ago) is warped, battery included (if you take the battery out its all out of whack, and it doesn't seat properly). I'm not able to be without a computer at the moment, as I have a lot of projects due that require me to have my laptop. So I have two questions:

1) About how much will this cost to replace? (I'm assuming I need a new battery.. bottom case, and some other stuff) I can't see it being covered under applecare, as it was totally my fault.

2) Is it safe to use with the battery being a little warped? I'm planning on taking it in as soon as possible, but the last time I took it in, it took forever to get back (even though it was for a simple procedure)

Any help is appreciated!

2. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Has the battery been punctured at all? If it had you will want to remove it.

Come to think about it. It may be best to leave the battery out and just have the MB plugged in until you get it fixed,

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You probably broke (or at least bent, although they don't take shock well at all) the cast aluminum frame that rides all around the bottom case. Very labor intensive to pull the guts out, replace the frame and stuff everything back in.

Because of the high anticipated cost of repair, if you have the means, you may be better off buying a new one and selling the old one off on ebay. Used/broken macbooks are going for a ton there right now and you will probably come out far ahead of the cost of the repair.