#TWISTgate? Try TWISTING your iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samiznaetekto, Sep 28, 2014.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Checked out the 6's at the Apple store again. Did some quick "bend" tests (not causing any actual damage to units, but kinda just feeling the reaction of them to cautious force and trying to mentally extrapolate to much stronger force). I think the bendgate guy is right - it doesn't seem too much force would be needed to cause irreversible damage.

BUT!!! I felt that TWISTING would do it much much easier!

So, 6/6+ owners... can you TWIST your baby for real? :D Maybe you can make a nice (fake? lol) YouTube video that will collect tens of millions of views and land a cool $60K in your pocket? Just an idea. :rolleyes:

2. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

You went to an Apple Store and tried to break phones. Great job.

3. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

Enough of this stuff already. It's an electronic device that needs to be handled with some level of care if you expect it to last.

4. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

You went to an Apple Store to twist the phones? I'll pray for you

5. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you read what I wrote? I applied GENTLE force (5lbs tops) and did not cause any damage whatsoever. But it was obvious to me that it wouldn't make that much force to actually bend it, so bendgate is real.

Now, try twisting it. Just do it!

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Very scientific. :rolleyes: It's already been scientifically measured. 70 and 90 pounds of force will bend the 6 and 6 Plus respectively. Over 10 times the force of your "gentle" 5 pounds.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Sure. Nothing suspicious about that.

8. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Like I've said, ever since this bend gate crap was picked up by the media...people have lost their damn minds. Going to retail stores just to purposely bend (or twist) the phones? Lord help these people..

9. toxicity033 macrumors member

let's not give people ideas..i mean the bendgate thing did start on this forum :confused:

10. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Why in the hell would somebody twist their phone? Who does this ****? Lol ****in really. I've had every phone from the RAZR to the Droid X to the G-Nex, to the S3, the 5S, and the 6 plus...and twisting my phone for the sure hell of it has never crossed my mind.

11. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

#TWISTgate? Try TWISTING your iPhone!

Dude are you serious? And your excited about this? So sick of this topic already. Now people are actually testing this on store demo devices. If you damage it or not is not the point. You could have easily damage a business property with your senseless experiment. What if you did damage it? Are you willing to pay for it? I'm sure you will just pretend like nothing happen. Good Lord help these people and give them some common sense.

12. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

What's wrong with evaluating a device for sturdiness by a potential purchaser (without causing any damage)? You just lightly try to bend or twist it and feel how it responds. Do you really expect people to plunk $1K for a device without even thinking if it will bend/twist/fall apart after a month of usage?! :eek:

13. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Here's another guy going to Apple Store tomorrow to do another senseless test. Dude it's wrong no matter how you 'twist' the situation.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

Yep, when I buy anything, the first thing I do is try to destroy it. I like driving my new cars into trees to see if the airbag will deploy. I put a new furnace in my house and start a gas leak to see if my house will explode when it turns on. What's the fun of owning something if you cant at first destroy it before using it.

15. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

God help the car dealership/seller when you decide to buy a car.

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

The fact that you don't comprehend why doing this is highly suspect at BEST is what's problematic here.

17. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Dude, this is not normal use. Like I said, I've had damn near every flagship device from various companies and not once have I ever thought "hmm, I wonder if I can twist this device...let's find out" If a person came into my store and started twisting and bending the phones, I'd honestly ask their ass to leave. Going to a phone store to check out the display, test the processor, play with the camera, and getting a feel for the device is normal. That I can understand. But twisting and bending the phone? Are you kidding me? Next time I go to a TV store, I'll make sure to kick the tv to see if it'll break or not. Next time I go car shopping, I'll get the dealership guy to drive it off a cliff to see if it'll explode. Next time I go console shopping...I'll go to GameStop and let my dog piss on the demo models and see if they survive. Next time I go tablet shopping, I'll go the Samsung area at best buy...take the Tab S demo unit, fold that sum bitch up and give it to the fat kid by the iPods. Samsung said their devices are durable so I wanna see if it'll survive the fat kid onslaught.

18. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I can imagine twisting being a very serious problem if I forget to take it out of my pockets when I put my clothes in the washing machine.

19. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

All I'm saying is don't be that guy that comes on here saying he's phone is bent.... Lol

20. bova80 macrumors 6502a

to say bendgate is real because you applied light pressure and it had some flex to it is retarded. do people not realize if these phones were as stiff as a board when they hit the ground the screen would crack everytime? Giving the phone a little bit of flex helps it in certain situations. It takes a lot more force to bend it and have it stay in that bent position though.

21. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You know, twisting ANY phone with a large screen isn't going to end well...

Even a plastic chassis phone will end up with a cracked LCD if you play such a stupid game :confused:.

22. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

What does "bendgate" prove? That metal bends? Bravo, people.

Why is it that every time Apple comes out with a product, theres a rush to find out a flaw? (Real or imagined)

Its sad that that this is the price to pay for being the market leader.

I can't wait until the watch comes out and we have "dropgate" when people drop it and the watch face cracks.

23. meagain macrumors 68030

I think this is my forum straw. Think I need to step away for 1-2 weeks and come back to peak to see if people found their minds they lost 9/19.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Only if you take off your shoe and kick a brick wall. Don't hold back. Post the YouTube link when it's up. I'm curious to see what happens. Thanks.

Then we'll see about twisting $800 phones. Geez.

25. *KID* macrumors regular

This isn't rocket science. With enough force I'm sure you can bend, twist, destroy an iphone.

I'm beginning to think Apple should keep the display models in a separate room away from children or those with a childlike mentality and implement a "you break/bend/twist it, you buy it" policy.