Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Twitch Studio Streaming Software Arrives on Mac in Beta

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitch has launched a beta version of its all-in-one streaming software, Twitch Studio, for macOS. The original version of the software only supported Windows PCs, so now Mac users can also get involved.

If you're a Mac user who has been eager to give streaming a try but didn't know how to start, Twitch Studio is our all-in-one streaming software designed from the ground up with new creators in mind. Whether you're interested in games, music, art, cooking, or any number of other passions, Twitch Studio provides a fast way to set up and go live on Twitch.
Twitch Studio features include guided onboarding, automatic hardware detection, and recommended settings. The software's built-in desktop audio capture capability also lets users stream audio from a web browser or their computer without the need for extra configuration.

Twitch integration means Twitch Studio also includes built-in alerts and chat features. Streams can also be customized using different layouts, multiple audio devices, and support for screen sharing from connected iPhones and iPads.

Twitch Studio is available to download from the Twitch website, and the developers say more features will be coming throughout the year.

Article Link: Twitch Studio Streaming Software Arrives on Mac in Beta

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

Jeaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Gave it a spin and worked quite well. It's not as feature-rich as OBS but it's very easy to use. Unfortunately, my old mac takes a beating during streaming and games as LoL drop from a solid 150 fps to 30. But that's the same with OBS.

Reactions: lJoSquaredl
Comment

xnu

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Streaming would be awesome on the Mac! Gaming would be Awesome on a Mac! Just in time for the transition to ARM. I only use Macs for work, I game on a PC.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
What are you going to stream from a Mac... solitaire?

While video games remains the bulk of Twitch's content, there are scores, if not hundreds, of non-gaming categories that are streamed now. I personally watch digital artists, leather workers, costumers, live role-playing, "watch parties" (where the stream watch content on Amazon Prime), etc.

Considering the old saw that "Macs are for creatives", there should be plenty of interesting and engaging content for Mac owners to stream on Twitch that don't involve gaming.

Comment

bm5k

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
"Certain features are not possible on Mac such as game capture."

Where are you reading this?

In the FAQ: https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/twitch-studio-mac-faq?language=en_US

Is the Mac version different from the Windows version of Twitch Studio?

Yes, certain features are not possible on Mac such as game capture. The UI is mostly shared between both versions and our goal is to keep the experience as similar as possible while working against any platform limitations.

Comment

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
"Certain features are not possible on Mac such as game capture." and that was the only reason I downloaded the beta, and it can't do that :-(

Same reason I downloaded StreamLabs for the Mac, but sadly they haven't figured a way to "game capture". I wanted to stream ESO and Diablo but no luck. Not sure if there is a workaround for the developers, or if Apple just flat out denies it.

Comment

Stephen.R

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
"watch parties" (where the stream watch content on Amazon Prime), etc.

... you watch people watching stuff from Amazon?

Why don't you stream yourself watching them.. apparently there would be an audience because literally everything else possible has been watched it seems.

Comment

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
While video games remains the bulk of Twitch's content, there are scores, if not hundreds, of non-gaming categories that are streamed now. I personally watch digital artists, leather workers, costumers, live role-playing, "watch parties" (where the stream watch content on Amazon Prime), etc.

Considering the old saw that "Macs are for creatives", there should be plenty of interesting and engaging content for Mac owners to stream on Twitch that don't involve gaming.

Yeah I used to watch streamers game but I've found most streams like that to be more boring these days...cept clips I'll usually watch single clips. These days I watch IRL streamers that are traveling or live in cool places, or esports.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
... you watch people watching stuff from Amazon?

Why don't you stream yourself watching them.. apparently there would be an audience because literally everything else possible has been watched it seems.

Essentially the streamer will broadcast something on Amazon Prime (their free content level) and then the rest of the channel who also has Amazon Prime can watch along and participate in the chat. For example, every Saturday evening a streamer I follow starts a Watch Party for "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and we all give it the MST3K treatment. With about 600 folks in the chat, it's pretty fun.

Comment

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Cool cool, may use it to stream myself DJing, but as others have said even OBS doesn't work all that well in MacOS. Computer almost takes off like a jet, I get lots of dropped frames and recording issues, etc. Bootcamp runs it more smoothly in terms of recording but the laptop does actually lift off at that point lol

Comment

tosbsas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
excuse the stupid question please - is this working well to stream to two channels (Facebook and Youtube) at the same time. Right now I am using streamyard

Comment

Stephen.R

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Essentially the streamer will broadcast something on Amazon Prime (their free content level) and then the rest of the channel who also has Amazon Prime can watch along and participate in the chat. For example, every Saturday evening a streamer I follow starts a Watch Party for "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and we all give it the MST3K treatment. With about 600 folks in the chat, it's pretty fun.
I still expect to see (or, not see, but hear about) Stream-Ception before the end of the year.

Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
The FAQ says:
To capture a game in the Twitch Studio Mac app you will need to capture your monitor/display instead.
Mac does not support built-in game capture capabilities.

It's not an issue with Twitch studio, it appears the Mac doesn't actually support 'built-in game capture'.

You can screen record the game window like you can with Zoom and other screen recording software.

Comment

LynseyMo

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2020
excuse the stupid question please - is this working well to stream to two channels (Facebook and Youtube) at the same time. Right now I am using streamyard
Thanks for asking, I was also curious :) I currently use Restream to stream to multiple channels

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.