Twitter Announces New 'Stickers' Feature With Visual Search Options

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following in the footsteps of a few changes and additions to its social networking features, Twitter today announced that a new photo-enhancing suite of stickers will be coming to iOS and Android users "over the next few weeks." The update will let users place Twitter's custom "rotating sets of stickers" onto any photo -- along with the hundreds of emojis offered on iOS and Android -- to personalize a picture before posting it on Twitter.

[​IMG]
    Image via TechCrunch

Similar to Snapchat, and the enhanced additions coming to Messages, users will be able to place multiple stickers on one photo, resize and rotate them, and show support for a timely cause or big event in entertainment with stickers that will only last for a short period of time.

In addition, stickers will be searchable "in a new, visual spin on the hashtag," letting you click on a sticker in any Tweet and see similar trending pictures related to your photo. To do this, the company said that tapping on any sticker in a picture will reveal a new timeline, "where you can see how people all over the world use that sticker in different ways."

Although no specific release window was given, the company said the rollout for stickers on iOS and Android would be completed over the next few weeks. A version of the sticker service will be headed to Twitter.com as well.

Article Link: Twitter Announces New 'Stickers' Feature With Visual Search Options

2. iosiseasy macrumors newbie

3. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

4. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of these "stickers"? They just look childish to me.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I duno. They're kinda fun to use on snap chat but most everything I post on snapchat is for fun. The pictures I post on Twitter are generally more serious and are there forever.

6. Zedcars, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

They should come out with some scratch n sniff stickers. I used to love those as a kid...ice cream, French fries, strawberry, dog turd... :D

7. MH01 Suspended

MH01

8. Textime macrumors regular

9. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

This stickers craze everywhere really saddens me.

10. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

This is going to be a massive hit with the "**** it, I'm done with Twitter crowd!"

Twitter was supposed to remain the "adult" toy. I wish they would leave this silly, childish garbage to the attention-deficit, under 25 crowd.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Those who will want to will use them, and those who won't won't use them. Nothing really will change. It's pretty much as simple as that.

12. Nunyabinez, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Since I was in the generation that grew up with major changes in technology, I have watched my parent's generation struggle to figure out how to use new technology. I have often wondered if when I get old (already happening) if the new technologies of the day would be difficult for me to figure out.

However, I now believe that it won't be an issue of not knowing how to use technology, rather it will be not understanding why people are using it. I won't be that I can't figure out how to use this stupid stuff, it will be that I can't figure out why I should.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Just take what you know and add a few stickers to it and attach some emojis and you should be all covered. ;)

14. Jakeoster macrumors regular

Come on, this platform has way more to offer the world than fun and colorful stickers.

15. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I guess since it's such a throwaway gimmick, they lose absolutely nothing by taking little effort to add something like it.

16. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I think you've stated the obvious. How about spending time putting in real research and development into something truly amazing that change lives for the better. The stickers appeal to infantile tendencies.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I guess we have same type of hang ups about many things in life that are just for fun?

18. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

You've nailed it buddy. I'm on the same boat.

19. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

Spot-on. I know HOW to listen to music made in the 90s, I just don't understand WHY anyone would want to do it! ;)

20. Textime macrumors regular

Yes with the only problem that iMessage is going to look on my 4 inch iPhone overloaded. Too many buttons on a tiny place. And no, I don't want a bigger phone.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What buttons? It seems like it's about the same as it is now.

22. Textime macrumors regular

The one with the screenshot is from iOS 9.
    It's clear with no distractions.

Attached Files:

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I can't say I really see something that takes up more space where a 4" screen becomes troublesome somehow.