Twitter application notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 19, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Even when I go into Settings, then Twitter and then scroll down and slide Twitter to "OFF" notifications still come through. Is this how it's supposed to work just to notify me of them? I don't want Twitter running 24/7 for battery sake so I just log in when I want to tweet or see what's going on.

If the notifications are just letting me know someone messaged me or wrote me that's fine as long as it's not logging me back into Twitter each time.

Anybody know?

2. Gordonw macrumors member

Did you turn off notifications in the Twitter app itself?

3. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

No I left them enabled in the actual application itself but if I have Twitter set to "OFF" in the settings I would think the service is not functional during that time so I'm trying to figure out how exactly this works. Like I said before if it's just giving me the notifications that's fine, it's actually cool as long as it's not connecting me back to Twitter again so it's running in the background without me knowing draining my battery.

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anybody confirm the functionality behind this?

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

being logged into twitter doesn't use your battery any more than being logged out. It is never actually running when you don't have it open. Push notifications work off apples server, not your phone. When you get a mention, twitter tells apple to message your phone telling you about it, the app doesn't download the tweet right away and notify you

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? That's good information to know. I was under the assumption that it would drain the battery quicker being logged in all the time rather than just logging in when I want to tweet or read my timeline. Looks like I'll switch the setting back to "ON" for Twitter then and leave it there.

7. Gordonw macrumors member

When you turn off the notifications in Settings, notifications will not appear in the pull down notification center. You will still receive push notifications if you have notifications turned on in the app.
    I have my twitter app on 24/7. I've never logged off. It's not true multitasking. Think of it as more suspended animation when your app is not open.

8. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell there is no way to "log off" anyways. As long as it's not running and draining battery when the application is not open then I'm fine.

9. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I am having the opposite problem. I have every possible notification turned on for twitter and am getting NO notifications. None in the notification center, none in the lock screen, none as a top message or pop up notification when i am working on the phone. absolutely none at all. Any way to fix that?

And yes, I have reset the network settings. Help?

10. Big Worm macrumors newbie

Same here.

11. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Are you being mentioned/direct messaged? Those would be the only times you would be "notified"

I like being notified whenever 15 of the 100 or so accounts I follow tweet. So I have (within twitter) set up to send me a text message whenever they tweet anything (mentioning me or not). I added the number 40404 as a contact 'Twitter' and set the text tone to tweet. Perfect functionality for me.

12. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

neither mentions or direct msgs are being sent over.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Reinstall Twitter and when you start the app it's going to ask you if you want it to send you notifications and select yes. I had the same issue until I got that pop up and that fixed it.