Twitter Apps- What I Want

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by BlondeBuddhist, Jun 25, 2010.

1. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I tweet. Not excessively but a handful a day.

Currently I use the official "Twitter App", and it's not bad. I have used Echophone though it's bugs drove away.

The biggest I have with "Twitter" is the fact that it only loads the last 200 tweets and I "lose" many. This is especially true overnight but there are days I dont check my timeline for 5 or 6 hours and I lose many there too.

It's senseless to check the reviews of the apps in iTunes, because they all say their app is the greatest app ever.

What do you tweet with? The ability to load ALL the tweets the biggest annoyance I need cleared up. I don't mind buying the app, since I do use it daily. Thanks!

Blonde Buddhist

2. IronLogik macrumors 6502

It is inherently an issue with the Twitter API. When you request tweets with the API it sends them to you in bunches. This is why Twitter (formerly Tweetie) gives you the broken page section near the end of a section if there are missing tweets between two tweets. Your best bet is to load that each time until it disappears. If that disappears then you're caught up.

I know of no other app that does what you're asking. It is a limitation of the twitter API.

3. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Well dang. I guess if thats the way it is, thats the way it is.

The one thing I wish Tweetie had was numbered badges. I see a few do. $5 seems like a lot for a twitter app, but I've wasted more money on sillier things.

No one here tweets or what? (its okay, its cool enough to admit now guys)

Blonde Buddhist

4. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Twitter(tweetie) is the best I've used.

I enjoyed the look and feel of Birdfeed but that was bought by brizzly and they screwed it all up. So Twitter is the only one I use.

A lot of people like Twitteriffic too. New version just came out yesterday.

5. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Try Simply Tweet 3 this will if you want to load all previously unread tweets since you last exit the app plus it has push @ and DM to I think its the best twitter app out

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

You get more than 200 tweets in 6 hours? Wow. I only have around 15 unread when I wake up.

7. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

I use twitter, a lot, over 40k updates since joining, and almost 2k followers. Im due to get a white iPhone 4 in August, and I too will be looking for a good twitter client. I use Tweetdeck on my MacBook Pro, and seeing as there is a version for iPhone, I was going to go for that. Maybe you should give it a try?

www.twitter.com/Mickyfin

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I tweet too, and I tried Twitter and Twitterific for a couple of weeks each. I much prefer Twitter, so I've since deleted Twitterific.

I sometimes go 18-24 hours between relaunching the app, so I just keep hitting the broken page and reloading until I've gotten all the tweets I've missed.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Love Echofon (paid version). It has global push and keeps my read/unread in sync between iPhone, desktop app, Firefox, and iPad (as soon as iPad sync is enabled on their server).

10. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I tried many Twitter apps (Tweetdeck, Osfoora, Tweetie 2, probably more). The best I ever used was Tweetie 2. And I continued to use it when it became the official Twitter app (I think the fact that Twitter chose Tweetie 2 as it's official app tells you something ;)). I've been using it since, and love the new updates very much. Nothing compares in my opinion. Plus it's free now.

11. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Well, I've tried nearly all of them now, I almost have an addiction to trying each of the twitter apps to try and find one that can replace the official Twitter (aka Tweetie2).

Best supported and updated that I could easily live with if I didn't have the Twitter app would be SimplyTweet3 and I believe that is one of the few that will let you load more tweets, plus it has awesome push notifications so if you really must try another app out I would recommend SimplyTweet3.

12. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

SIMPLYTWEET = PUSH notifications included.... this beats any other twitter client.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you follow only a handful of people, then you don't get hundreds of tweets in an hour. I follow 100+ and have 300+ followers so I get tweets all the time.

14. Excluse macrumors member

I'd like it if I could automatically scroll up to the top of the list by tapping the status bar like so many other apps.

15. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Osfoora 1.4.1 just released, now support fast app switching on iOS4, blazingly fast, another one that's highly recommended.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have purchased countless Twitter apps for my iPhone. The best by far was Tweetie 2. However, I now use Osfoora on a daily basis, and I love it. In the settings, you're able to set the amount of tweets you want to load (if you haven't logged into the app in a few hours). I think it's a very feature rich app. I don't need push notifications for DM's and @mentions, so that doesn't make a difference to me. But I would check it out. I believe it's $2.99 in the App Store.

17. Marcjcd macrumors member

Can someone tell me which twitter app will search for anything posted by anyone your following over a set time and then send a push notification to the iphone. For example, app searches for anything tweeted by anyone your following every 30minutes then you get a notification. Maybe I'm not understanding this, but I have not found one that will do this.

Thanks in advance

18. david77 macrumors regular

iTweetReply and Notifo will send timeline alerts.

19. Marcjcd macrumors member

Thank You David!!!

20. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I just downloaded Twitbird and I'm rather liking it.

23. Fedorov macrumors 6502

I keep going back to the Twitter app, I try each client for a day or two then go back, Osfoora has a few bugs I've reported but not heard back, it's very close to the Twitter app.

SimplyTweet has just about everything but for some reason I like the simpler interface/speed of Twitter app

Twitteriffic v3 - very very nice on the iPhone 4 retina display, but it doesn't have any nice shortcuts in it yet to make it usable everyday - way too many taps required to achieve anything.

Twitbird - might have another look, quite liked it when I tried the new 2.5 not long ago. It's not yet iOS4 fast app switching yet tho is it?

IceBird - the cleanest smoothest interface, I absolutely LOVE this app and the developer always responds - soon as the iOS4 fast app switching version comes out in a few days I'll be back using this, you need to try it to appreciate the interface.

24. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Twitter does that.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No fast switching on TwitBird yet, but I assume there's an OS4 update incoming. I'll check out IceBird. It looks beautiful.

(edit: IceBird is really slick, but I much prefer the way TwitBird handles replies, by showing the message replied to just under the reply. that's a kicker for me.)