Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter has started rolling out its new Ticketed Spaces feature to iOS users, the company has announced.

twitter-ticketed-spaces.jpg

Twitter Spaces allow users to host live audio discussions that other users can listen in to. Now, some Twitter users on iOS will be able to create Ticketed Spaces that have a small fee to join, allowing hosts to make money from sales directly on the popular social media platform.

Users over the age of 18 who have hosted at least three Spaces in the past 30 days and have at least 1,000 followers have been able to apply to host Ticketed Spaces since June, but the feature has not been live until now.

Hosts receive 67 percent of the proceeds from ticket sales, with 30 percent going to Apple as an in-app purchase fee and three percent going to Twitter. If a host's total lifetime earnings on Twitter pass $50,000, then Twitter plans to raise its commission rate to 20 percent.

It is not clear how many users are now eligible to host Ticketed Spaces or when Twitter plans to roll out the functionality to all users. Even so, any iOS user is able to buy a ticket to join a Ticketed Spaces session.

Article Link: Twitter Begins Rolling Out Ticketed Spaces on iOS

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Apple and Twitter take 50% of your earnings and Uncle Sam takes a chunk of the remainder.

Good deal!
🤦‍♂️

4th paragraph

"Hosts receive 67 percent of the proceeds from ticket sales, with 30 percent going to Apple as an in-app purchase fee and three percent going to Twitter."

And I don't see where it says this feature if exclusive to U.S. users

It's kind of crazy how Apple's cut is 1000% bigger than Twitter's when Twitter is the one who created the app and feature and the service runs on Twitter's servers, not Apple's.

Last edited:

bbuubblleess

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2021
🤦‍♂️

4th paragraph

"Hosts receive 67 percent of the proceeds from ticket sales, with 30 percent going to Apple as an in-app purchase fee and three percent going to Twitter."

It's kind of crazy how Apple's cut is 1000% bigger than Twitter's when Twitter is the one who created the app and feature and the service runs on Twitter's servers, not Apple's.

Literally the next sentence: "If a host's total lifetime earnings on Twitter pass $50,000, then Twitter plans to raise its commission rate to 20 percent."

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone else find it ridiculous that Twitter is HOSTING the service and only gets a three percent commission, while Apple is just the payment provider and gets a huge whopping 30%?

Shouldn't it be the other way around? No wonder people are up in arms about Apple forcing in-app purchase payments through their system with their ridiculous commissions.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
🤦‍♂️

4th paragraph

It's almost as if Apple's terms are unfair. Twitter, a host, and viewers all agree to do business with one another, and because it's viewed on an iPhone Apple deserves a 30% cut? And Twitter, who did the heavy lifting, gets scraps at 3%? Ridiculous. And of course this cost will just be passed onto consumers in the form of higher prices from hosts.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 604
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Anyone else find it ridiculous that Twitter is HOSTING the service and only gets a three percent commission, while Apple is just the payment provider and gets a huge whopping 30%?

Shouldn't it be the other way around? No wonder people are up in arms about Apple forcing in-app purchase payments through their system with their ridiculous commissions.

Look at 'merchant account fees'. Some of them are ridiculous. I ran a company where we had a merchant account, and a credit card machine. Some cards charged more than others, and some also differentiated based on how the card was presented. We paid more, for example, for a card not in our possession when it was processed. Why? Risk? Then the account grantor also charged several fees depending on random reasons. We paid 'rent' for the device, we paid a service fee, we paid a few other fees, some based on volume, some based on calls for support, some seemed just to be blatant money grabs. I seem to remember we were even charged a fee if we didn't use the machine for a month. It was bizarre. The fees added up too! It eventually became such a burden, we dropped the account completely.

(And, Ford forbid, we take a card that they approve that turns out to be stolen, or 'tainted'. We reimburse the card company for the total, plus fees and fines, and supposedly get a 'black mark' on our account. Too many of those, and no account. One local company lost over $60,000 based on a bad card they accepted. Yeah, they went out of business)

vipergts2207

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Look at 'merchant account fees'. Some of them are ridiculous. I ran a company where we had a merchant account, and a credit card machine. Some cards charged more than others, and some also differentiated based on how the card was presented. We paid more, for example, for a card not in our possession when it was processed. Why? Risk? Then the account grantor also charged several fees depending on random reasons. We paid 'rent' for the device, we paid a service fee, we paid a few other fees, some based on volume, some based on calls for support, some seemed just to be blatant money grabs. I seem to remember we were even charged a fee if we didn't use the machine for a month. It was bizarre. The fees added up too! It eventually became such a burden, we dropped the account completely.

(And, Ford forbid, we take a card that they approve that turns out to be stolen, or 'tainted'. We reimburse the card company for the total, plus fees and fines, and supposedly get a 'black mark' on our account. Too many of those, and no account. One local company lost over $60,000 based on a bad card they accepted. Yeah, they went out of business)
Question. Did the fees add up to the servicer making 10 times as much money from a transaction than you the business owner?

ponzicoinbro

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2021
Jack Dorsey: ‘Starting today we want to help people make money with Spaces’

Twitter: ‘Hi y’all members thanks for the money and welcome to my Spaces audio chat, invermectin horse paste cures Covid which doesn’t exist anyway, join me at freedom day y’all, sponsor me or buy dingdongcoin to fund the truth revolution today y’all amen’

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Look at 'merchant account fees'. Some of them are ridiculous. I ran a company where we had a merchant account, and a credit card machine. Some cards charged more than others, and some also differentiated based on how the card was presented.
At least you had the option to not accept cards that had higher merchant account fees than you liked. I know of many businesses that don't accept American Express due to their higher fees, or are cash only.

With Apple, there is no choice.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jonproject

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
4th paragraph

You ALMOST understood it. If you read just littler further you'll see "If a host's total lifetime earnings on Twitter pass $50,000, then Twitter plans to raise its commission rate to 20 percent."

30% Apple + 20% Twitter = 50%. And when I say Uncle Sam, I mean your local tax authority. Should be clear what I mean. I'm Canadian and even I enjoy that term. I'm sure you pay taxes, right?

• Disagree
Reactions: sw1tcher

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Literally the next sentence: "If a host's total lifetime earnings on Twitter pass $50,000, then Twitter plans to raise its commission rate to 20 percent."

You ALMOST understood it. If you read just littler further you'll see "If a host's total lifetime earnings on Twitter pass $50,000, then Twitter plans to raise its commission rate to 20 percent."

30% Apple + 20% Twitter = 50%.

No. I read it clearly.

It says "If"

Not everyone will earn over $50,000

Therefore the statement that "Apple and Twitter take 50% of your earnings" is incorrect as it implies that happens right off the bat when it doesn't.

And when I say Uncle Sam, I mean your local tax authority. Should be clear what I mean. I'm Canadian and even I enjoy that term. I'm sure you pay taxes, right?

Maybe you equate Uncle Same as your local tax authority, but that's not what Uncle Sam means.

• Haha
Reactions: jonproject

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
🤦‍♂️

4th paragraph

Outside the US, income tax is typically around 30-35%, so, after the 50% cut from Apple & Twitter, you'll be giving your national government around 35% of the remainder. So, you get to keep around 20-30% of the ticket, depending on your deductions.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Outside the US, income tax is typically around 30-35%, so, after the 50% cut from Apple & Twitter, you'll be giving your national government around 35% of the remainder. So, you get to keep around 20-30% of the ticket, depending on your deductions.
The United Arab Emirates, Bermuda, and Bahrain among others have 0% income tax, so jonproject's statement that "Uncle Sam takes a chunk of the remainder" is false

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yes, this is one situation where I fully 100% disagree with Apple taking 30%! That's outrageous when Apple has no part in hosting Spaces.

randomthoughts

Contributor
Oct 15, 2020
Marketers and greed have ruined the internet. Money destroys the personal connection with others. What once brought people together and made them feel closer now turns interactions into transactions. Hard pass.

Reactions: femike

macar00n

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2021
Marketers and greed have ruined the internet. Money destroys the personal connection with others. What once brought people together and made them feel closer now turns interactions into transactions. Hard pass.
Yes but if you get three friends to sign up and they each get three friends to sign up, we can drive a Corvette

vipergts2207

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So Apple is charging them 300% of the cost of the service? They wouldn't be in business long...
That's not what I said and you completely failed to address the question. Did the servicer make 10 times as much as you from each transaction? If you bought a widget for $67 dollars from a supplier and then sold it to a customer for $100, you then sent $30 off to a payment processor and only made $3 from the entire transaction?

Last edited:

jonproject

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
The United Arab Emirates, Bermuda, and Bahrain among others have 0% income tax, so jonproject's statement that "Uncle Sam takes a chunk of the remainder" is false
The level of pedantry on display is hilarious. 🤣

Anyone seriously looking to use this ticketing system to earn real money will be earning in excess of $50k. It's a ridiculously low threshold. 50% + tax = waste of time. I would never support a creator that used this if I knew they weren't even keeping 50% of what I'm donating. This service is DOA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.