• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter.jpg
Twitter today announced that it's bringing autoplay video to the web and to its iOS app, causing native videos, Vines, and GIFs to play automatically in the Twitter stream for an improved video-watching experience.
Today, it's become even easier to enjoy video on Twitter. Now native videos, Vines and GIFs will begin to play back automatically. So you can keep up with the action without missing a Tweet and get a better sense of what's been shared instantly.
Videos will play without sound, but tapping a video will turn the sound on and play the video in an expanded view. Rotating an iPhone or iPad to landscape mode will automatically turn on the sound and expand a video that's in the timeline to fill the screen.

Twitter is including an option that will allow users to continue to use the previous click-to-play video experience, disabling autoplay videos, Vines, and GIFs. There's also a setting to turn autoplay on only when connected to WiFi, preserving bandwidth when connected to cellular.

The video changes are starting to roll out today to Twitter users on iOS and on Twitter.com.

Article Link: Twitter Brings Autoplay Video, Vines, and GIFs to iOS and Web

Khaaaaaaaaaan

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Madision, WI
Note to self: turn off automatic updates for Twitter. I hate autoplay video so much...

Not to mention the battery drain caused by the increased level of advertisers who will flood Twitter with auto-play ads. It's bad enough I can't filter out that crap from the iOS app. At least on my desktop, I have options.

Comment

macpanzer

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Autoplay-anything is a huge pain in the rear.
Hopefully the third-party apps (Twitterrific etc.) are not affected by this?

Comment

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
This better be an option on the web version, otherwise it's just another thing (the first being the inline photos) that makes loading Twitter even slower on slower networks.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How come Twitter never shows any love for the Mac client? It's always WAY behind when it comes to features. I guess the only plus side is no promoted tweets, so it's still the only official way to enjoy Twitter without ads. :)

Reactions: iDuel
Comment

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
How about they sort out their last-updated-in-October-2014 Mac app which can't even display gifs, videos or Vines?

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Autoplay video on a mobile, battery-constrained device is a recipe for disaster. Who could have thought this was a good idea?
Yeah, came across it just yesterday. Thankfully there was a setting in the app to disable it (too bad it wasn't set to that by default when they added that setting that wasn't there before to begin with).

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
1. Juggle pinless grenades

2. Panini grill my hand in foccacia bread

3. Weekly habanero enemas

Three things I'd do before approving autoplay videos. Autoplay videos are the equivalent of getting hit by a car while picking up a $100 bill that turns out to be fake. Just an all around s****y experience.

Reactions: AlliFlowers
Comment

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Yeah, came across it just yesterday. Thankfully there was a setting in the app to disable it (too bad it wasn't set to that by default when they added that setting that wasn't there before to begin with).

It's like web-clicks... some marketing 'genius' decided that by making things auto-play, they can advertise more 'plays.' All the news outlets did this a while back as well. The problem is that it makes the stats meaningless (aside from annoying the end-users).

Comment

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
How come Twitter never shows any love for the Mac client? It's always WAY behind when it comes to features. I guess the only plus side is no promoted tweets, so it's still the only official way to enjoy Twitter without ads. :)

It does show love for the Mac client, which hasn't been ruined like the iOS app has with spam, a non-chronological timeline and now ******* autoplay video.

Animated GIF support would be nice but it isn't worth any of the other ****.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.