Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While at Re/code's Code Conference this week, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey commented on a few aspects of the social network's failings in recent years, especially in comparison to the dramatic upswing in popularity other apps, like Snapchat, have seen.

Dorsey mentioned that he believes Snapchat's method of messaging -- which incorporates transient text messages and time-locked photos and videos -- is "very modern," and that at times even he thinks Twitter can be somewhat confusing and alienating to its install base.

jack-dorsey-recode-800x451.jpg

His train of thought has been represented in user numbers, recently reported by Bloomberg, that suggest Snapchat has 150 million active users every day, while Twitter has fewer than 140 million. That's an impressive boost to Snapchat, which had just 110 million daily users back in December of 2015.
Twitter has 310 million monthly active users, according to its most recent earnings report. The company doesn't disclose how many of those people check in daily, but in the third quarter, it said about 44 percent of monthly users are active each day in the service's top 20 markets. Twitter Chief Financial Officer Anthony Noto said at the time that the percentage had been stable but that "we'll be sure to disclose" if there was a significant change. The company hasn't given an update since then. This implies a daily active user count of 136 million.
Of course, the company is constantly moving forward with innovations and changes to its user ruleset, recently announcing plans to drop handles and media attachments from its steadfast 140-character limit. A move to do away with that limit altogether, called "Beyond 140," suggested the company could integrate a way for users to write tweets all the way up to 10,000 characters, but its rumored Q1 2016 launch has long passed.

Article Link: Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Comments on Snapchat's Rise in Popularity Amid Twitter's Stagnation

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Snapchat is for teenage girls doing 100Mph in their cars.

The market does not agree with your close minded thoughts. SnapChat is for everyone. It's used for Marketing by big companies and celebrities. Adults and teenagers use it for various things like sexting, cheating, or just to communicate with friends on a unique platform.

Snapchat is growing tremendously.

Comment

Szarky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
I sort of ignorantly hate both Twitter and Snapchat (having barely used Twitter and never used Snapchat), but even knowing barely anything about it as a 30-something some-what techy guy the idea of Snapchat for some odd reason seems more interesting than Twitter. To me Twitter has always seemed off in some way, either too techy, too nerdy, too restrictive, too hardcore?

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot
Comment

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Twitter's idea of innovation is increasing the message limit. That's why it is becoming the Myspace of the 2010s. If you recognize who he is sharing the stage with in that photo, it shows just how desperate he is to convince people that Twitter is still relevant.

Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
Adults and teenagers use it for various things like sexting, cheating, or just to communicate with friends on a unique platform.

I don't sext or cheat and all of my friends have regular phones and we use regular SMS messages to say "I'm on my way". When not quickly sending a text to each other, we call each other like adults because a phone-call is just WAY more efficient when making plans. If there's a big group of us trying to find a free weekend, I use http://doodle.com to find when everyone is free.

I'm 29. I have email, a land-line (no cell service where I live) and a phone that sends text messages. I'm not really sure why we keep trying to reinvent communication. Short of VR where you can be a thousand miles away and your friend looks like they're in the same room, I don't really see how we can improve things any more than we already have.

Comment

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
The market does not agree with your close minded thoughts. SnapChat is for everyone. It's used for Marketing by big companies and celebrities. Adults and teenagers use it for various things like sexting, cheating, or just to communicate with friends on a unique platform.

I'm sorry. I must have hit a nerve. It's not Snapchat's fault that they supply a dangerous filter in their app.

Comment

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I'm a twtr shareholder.

They need work, but I do feel good about their longer term prospects.

They have the exposure. Even the President of the United States talks about tweeting and Twitter regularly.

They need to continue tweaking and improving what they have. Plenty of people I know look at Twitter but don't even bother opening an account for starters.

Last edited:
Comment

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
Different people, different tastes, different habits, different schedules, different expectations... good to have options?

I agree with that statement. The issue I have is investors want growth. Twitter supposedly isn't providing it so it's a huge deal. Luckily, what's hot right now won't be hot tomorrow. I'm looking forward to all of the hipsters getting party-lines via their phones and it all goes full-circle again.

Reactions: Jimmy James
Comment

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
I'm sorry. I must have hit a nerve. It's not Snapchat's fault that they supply a dangerous filter in their app.

No nerve hit here. I just see folks like you on the internet way too often spewing out crap as gospel.

I don't sext or cheat and all of my friends have regular phones and we use regular SMS messages to say "I'm on my way". When not quickly sending a text to each other, we call each other like adults because a phone-call is just WAY more efficient when making plans. If there's a big group of us trying to find a free weekend, I use http://doodle.com to find when everyone is free.

I'm 29. I have email, a land-line (no cell service where I live) and a phone that sends text messages. I'm not really sure why we keep trying to reinvent communication. Short of VR where you can be a thousand miles away and your friend looks like they're in the same room, I don't really see how we can improve things any more than we already have.

I don't use SnapChat because like you, I don't see a need for it. iMessage works perfect for all my needs. With that said, there are tons of forums for sexting and crap like that. I imagine folks that are using Tinder and sites like that probably want their privacy so they use SnapChat to communicate with newly met folks. I can see this as being way better than giving out your phone number.

SnapChat definitely can be useful in some situations.
[doublepost=1464891096][/doublepost]
Twitter's idea of innovation is increasing the message limit. That's why it is becoming the Myspace of the 2010s. If you recognize who he is sharing the stage with in that photo, it shows just how desperate he is to convince people that Twitter is still relevant.

Who is that in the photo?

Comment

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
I'm 29 and I've never understood the twitter fad. Seems like a worse facebook news feed. I just got snapchat after being nudged by some friends and it is hilarious. The younger kids are getting off Facebook and going with snapchat and twitter only, but mostly snapchat. (from my point of view)

Reactions: Smartass and Szarky
Comment

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009

Haha, when you put it that way...

But in all seriousness, I think your first two points are now heavily in the minority. It may very well be how Snapchat started off as, but you should know that it has now evolved into almost a mainstream short term communication platform. Young adults and teenagers use it for sharing pictures and videos that could be very silly and benevolent, to pretty cool ones (like Game 7 snaps, your travels, etc). The important differentiation here from other platforms is that Snapchat communication is temporary, and memory efficient. Pictures and videos will be gone in 24 hours max, meaning no one's phone memory will be wasted.

Comment

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Not to mention the racist 420 filter.
That's why it is becoming the Myspace of the 2010s.
I think there's a disconnect to what folks think Twitter is when signing up. Twitter isn't right for everyone, especially if they aren't creating content. It's also great for following folks who create content.

Reactions: SteveW928
Comment

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Different people, different tastes, different habits, different schedules, different expectations... good to have options?
Blasphemy! My personal life represents the entirety of the human experience and I will hear nothing contrary! /s

Comment

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
I have a Twitter account but never tweet. I use it primarily to follow select local and national sports writers during certain times of the year. Sports news breaks on Twitter long before it makes it into an article on local media websites. Twitter seems to be a better platform for broadcasting than for one-on-one social interaction. It has its place but I can see why other platforms are more appealing.

Comment

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
SnapChat is for everyone. It's used for Marketing by big companies and celebrities.

Yea, that's what I keep hearing. I set up accounts the other day, just in case. I'm not sure what to do with it at this point though. But, when people like Gary Vaynerchuk and Cliff Ravenscraft say it's the next big thing, I guess it's at least a good idea to grab the accounts.

I can see how a big brand or celebrity might use it, but until you reach that status, it doesn't seem to make much sense like some of the other social platforms.

Who's in the photo?

Actually, I think the recent moves are pretty good. It puts Twitter where it should have been from the start (counting URLs and such is kind of silly). 140 characters is a bit crunched at times, but making it much longer would miss the point of the platform. I think this one was very well played by them.

But, I have to wonder what you think innovation is. When you've got a good thing, sometimes maybe it's better not to ruin it. Innovation isn't fashion or novelty... which seems the modern definition.

I'm a twtr shareholder. They need work, but I do feel good about their longer term prospects.
... They need to continue tweaking and improving what they have. Plenty of people I know look at Twitter but don't even bother opening an account for starters.

I think their big problem was going public. Wall Street is pure lunacy, and anyone trying to please them is bound to fail. Once you're public, the only way out is to be so successful, they simply can't ignore or really touch you (cf. Apple until recently).

The younger kids are getting off Facebook and going with snapchat and twitter only, but mostly snapchat. (from my point of view)

Fitting step of 'progress' to finish off this wave of society. Deep thinkers -> printing press -> radio/TV -> internet -> Twitter/Facebook -> 10 second puking rainbow videos that evaporate within a day (and 'safe zones'). The future looks bright. ;)

Who you're calling a teenage girl? I'm 19 year old Strong Independent Male who don't need no women... but want one badly (runs out of room and pleads to ex to take him back)

Heh... just stay FAR, FAR away from any of them Snapping while going 100 mph and/or applying makeup, texting, etc. Hopefully they won't kill anyone else when they claim their Darwin award.

Comment

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Yea, that's what I keep hearing. I set up accounts the other day, just in case. I'm not sure what to do with it at this point though. But, when people like Gary Vaynerchuk and Cliff Ravenscraft say it's the next big thing, I guess it's at least a good idea to grab the accounts.

I can see how a big brand or celebrity might use it, but until you reach that status, it doesn't seem to make much sense like some of the other social platforms.

Well if you aren't a big brand or celebrity and you seek attention, Snapchat is a good way to share short clips of your life with your friends and subscribers. Corny? Maybe. Younglings are doing this.

Another use case would be you are meeting new people online or you are in to dating apps. SnapChat would be a nice communication tool to use when you are feeling folks out and not wanting to provide your phone number and or full name.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.