MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today announced support for Apple's Live Photos, which can now be uploaded to Twitter and shared as GIFs.

Apple first introduced Live Photos in 2015 alongside the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, though most social networks still do not support the format and do not allow Live Photos to play when uploaded.

livephotostwitter-800x596.jpg

Live Photos are designed to add movement to still photos to bring them to life, similar to the moving photos in the Harry Potter films. When you take a photo on an iPhone with Live Photos enabled, the iPhone captures a few seconds of video before and after the shot to enable the movement.

Live Photos are primarily able to be viewed from iPhone to iPhone, but there are apps that can convert them into formats supported by social networks like GIFs and videos, which is what Twitter is planning to do.

Uploading a Live Photo to Twitter to share in a tweet will convert the Live Photo into a GIF that displays the animation. Users just need to select a Live Photo in the Twitter app on iOS and then tap the GIF button to upload.

Those who want to share a Live Photo but don't want it to be shared as an animated GIF can just avoid tapping the GIF button, which will cause it to be uploaded as a traditional still photo.

Live Photos support is rolling out to the Twitter app today.

Article Link: Twitter Finally Launches Support for Live Photos, Allowing Them to Be Uploaded as GIFs

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Partial support. You lose the sound. Perhaps they can add a video button next to the GIF one in the future.

Reactions: Darkwalker
Comment

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
It's about time!...said the 3 people who use them.
Live Photos is hugely popular. Most people don't realize they're using them (because once it's turned on, it stays on unit you turn off) but they usually are and once they realize they have 3 seconds of video for all of their photos, they go back through all of them and create boomerangs and fun animations.

Comment

MacATDBB

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Michigan
How does twitter get around the limiting 256 color (from a larger palette) limit for GIFs? Do they subdivide the images into multiple blocks with their own palettes?

Comment

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
and once they realize they have 3 seconds of video for all of their photos, they go back through all of them and create boomerangs and fun animations.
I usually have it off but turn it on whenever I do want a Live Photo. Very good to have. I've noticed most people just leave it on when they discover it, as you said.
Instead of Live Photos support, Twitter should be working on the poor quality of uploaded images due to compression.
It's not Instagram.

Comment

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
definitely not a fan of Live Photos. Never seen one that added anything interesting to a photo. I have it turned off

Each to their own. I much prefer a live photo where I can see my daughters break out into smiles than a non-animated one.

That said my MIL made a point of disabling it, she says it makes the picture quality worse.

Comment

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
Why GIFs? There are significantly better compression methods. GIFs only support 256 colors, and photos require 16 million tones. It's obsolete tech from 1987. They're not very compact, either.

Reactions: iOS Geek
Comment

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Partial support. You lose the sound. Perhaps they can add a video button next to the GIF one in the future.
Wait, they have sound??
Live photos always baffled me. I actually have to guess how to play one every time. But I like them.
[automerge]1576114195[/automerge]
Why GIFs? There are significantly better compression methods. GIFs only support 256 colors, and photos require 16 million tones. It's obsolete tech from 1987. They're not very compact, either.
It's the most widely used format for this sort of thing, which makes it not obsolete. Turns out there's great value in a format being simple to display and *not* supporting sound.

Last edited:
Comment

techfreak23

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2013
I usually have it off but turn it on whenever I do want a Live Photo. Very good to have. I've noticed most people just leave it on when they discover it, as you said.
It's not Instagram.
I know some people who still aren’t aware of it. Every single photo they send out to an Apple device ends up being a Live Photo.

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
I wonder when MR will allow a Live Photo for my profile picture?
[automerge]1576117361[/automerge]
I wonder if the guy who invented the gif format is getting royalties?

Last edited:
Reactions: goobot
Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
Won't really see them, I always have data saver turned on with Twitter.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.