Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Twitter for Mac App Update Introduces Live Timeline Streaming

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter has released an update to its Twitter for Mac app that lets users set timelines to automatically stream new tweets, effectively removing the need to manual refresh.

After the v8.17 update has been installed, a new toggle in timeline settings lets users pin their "Latest Tweets" to the top of their timeline, enabling tweets to propagate into the feed in real-time.

Timeline streaming was originally a feature of Tweetbot and Twitterrific until Twitter unceremoniously withdrew the feature for third-party clients with the exception of TweetDeck.

Twitter released its version of Twitter for Mac back in October, when macOS Catalina came out. ?macOS Catalina? was built using Apple's Catalyst feature, which allows iPad apps to be ported over to the Mac.

Twitter discontinued its prior Twitter for Mac client more than a year ago, which wasn't a popular decision with Twitter users. At the time, Twitter said it was ending support for the app to focus on a Twitter experience that was consistent across platforms, and recommended Mac users use Twitter on the web.

Twitter for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for Mac App Update Introduces Live Timeline Streaming

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011

Twitter has released an update to its Twitter for Mac app that lets users set timelines to automatically stream new tweets, effectively removing the need to manual refresh.

After the v8.17 update has been installed, a new toggle in timeline settings lets users pin their "Latest Tweets" to the top of their timeline, enabling tweets to propagate into the feed in real-time.

Timeline streaming was originally a feature of Tweetbot and Twitterrific until Twitter unceremoniously withdrew the feature for third-party clients with the exception of TweetDeck.

Twitter released its version of Twitter for Mac back in October, when macOS Catalina came out. ?macOS Catalina? was built using Apple's Catalyst feature, which allows iPad apps to be ported over to the Mac.

Twitter discontinued its prior Twitter for Mac client more than a year ago, which wasn't a popular decision with Twitter users. At the time, Twitter said it was ending support for the app to focus on a Twitter experience that was consistent across platforms, and recommended Mac users use Twitter on the web.

Twitter for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for Mac App Update Introduces Live Timeline Streaming
I'm, still showing v8.16 as latest in app store on my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.5 Beta Build 19F62f

Comment

JFox

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Omaha, NE
Sticking with Tweetbot, thanks. I remember using Tweetie, which was eventually bought by Twitter and became the official Twitter Mac app (years ago). Which was fine until the original Tweetie dev hightailed it out of there and apparently took all the good ideas and code with him.

Comment

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I went on Twitter the other day and (at least with what it presents to me) it is still a total cesspool.

"When I was a kid, I wished I could read peoples minds. Since the advent of social media, I am so over it".

It's a shame, really.

Last edited:
Comment

MBX

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2006
The twitter dev team are total idiots. It took them like what, 1 year (or since ever the new Twitter app got released) to realize that it needed a streaming option? Who wants to “pull to refresh”? Even on smartphone nowadays this is so annoying.

Then the whole point of Catalyst is that it‘s cross-platform and yet the streaming function isn’t available on the iPad Pro version. Why would you want to constantly “pull to refresh” on a laptop like device?

What exactly are the twitter devs doing all day? It takes them forever to implement features and in the past they even outsourced app development because they couldn’t code a Mac app. And it’s a billion $$ company. Geez.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The twitter dev team are total idiots. It took them like what, 1 year (or since ever the new Twitter app got released) to realize that it needed a streaming option? Who wants to “pull to refresh”? Even on smartphone nowadays this is so annoying.
I would venture a guess it's not that they couldn't see it was valuable, but rather that corporate probably looks at it in a much different light: streaming takes more resources on the server side (because people who are pulling to refresh don't do it continuously - they forget, or get distracted, or whatever). Plus, if someone's pulling to refresh, you know you have engaged eyeballs on the screen, where it's streaming they may have wandered off (not useful as a customer, but still consuming resources).

Comment

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
Does twitter still ask for your mobile number when signing up?

Can you use twitter without giving them your mobile number?

Or do they eventually force you to give them your mobile number?

Comment

serpico007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
Tweetbot has been updated in 6 months on iOS. Any rumours about version 6?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.