Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Twitter Flight developer conference, Twitter today announced plans for a redesigned and updated Twitter for Mac client, reports TechCrunch. The new Twitter for Mac app will include support for several newer Twitter features such as in-line Vine, video, and GIF playback, group Direct Messages, photo Direct Messages, and in-line replies.

twitterformac.jpg
Image via TechCrunch

The app, which will be optimized for El Capitan, will show interaction highlights within the OS X Notification Center, and it has a built-in dark mode for users who prefer a darker interface.

New Twitter for Mac in dark mode looks so good pic.twitter.com/OnDukgtslx - Rus (@rus) October 21, 2015

Twitter for Mac has never been a focal point for Twitter, and the app has often gone for months without updates and new feature additions. From June of 2011 to April of 2013 it received zero updates, and in 2014 and 2015, it's only been updated twice. With the revamped version, it's possible Twitter plans to invest more of its resources into the Mac app to allow it to better compete with third-party products like Tweetbot.

Twitter plans to release its updated Mac app in a few months, with no concrete launch date set at the current time.

Article Link: Twitter Announces Upcoming Revamped Twitter for Mac App

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
It's about time. I never even bothered to download the Mac app because it wasn't updated to the point that the iOS app and the web version. Maybe now I will once this gets released.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
It's about time. If they want to generate revenue through ads, they're gonna have to start making their native apps work well so people actually use them. Don't think it'll make me switch from Tweetbot on my iPhone or Mac though.

Reactions: orbital~debris

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I complained about this yesterday on Twitter so I will take credit for it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 1.19.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 1.19.26 PM.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 216

BigBag

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
Until they add synched bookmarking between devices, I'll stick with Tweetbot. I seriously don't understand why that feature isn't a priority for Twitter. Why should I have to re-read old tweets just because I switch from Mac to phone, or phone to pad. Makes no sense.

Reactions: 3bs and Sandstorm

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why make an app for a web page? Does it do anything that twitter.com doesn't?

Without actually having access to their app, we don't know their app is better. Twitter simply can't build proper native apps.

Tweetbot is so much better;

1. It is very responsive with scrolling no matter how much tweets you go through, something that can't be done well in web browsers as it starts to get unstable the more data you load.
2. It can sync your timeline with TweetMarker or iCloud, so when you switch devices, you will see where you were at before.
3. Keyboard shortcut is easier in native apps, you can customize it and do things faster or automate with other apps.
4. You can have multiple columns instead of one column only on the website, I have 3-4 lists that is shown in columns next to my main timeline. (Tweetdeck does this too)
5. You can sign into multiple accounts.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Finally. I've been using Twitter on the Mac for the past 4 years and have barely seen it updated over the years.
The Mac app was updated around once or twice (at most) a year and slowly became so unbearable to use I had to switch to using Tweetbot. It consumed a lot of RAM, lacked many of the updates Twitter have made over the years to their mobile and website applications and even started looking dated.

You'd never think that such a popular social network would neglect their Mac app whilst continuing to release updates every other week on their mobile apps and websites. Twitter have probably lost most of their Mac users to Tweetbot, it's too little too late.

EDIT: Looks like the app won't be released for a few months. LOL, just when you think they were getting somewhere.

Last edited:

d0hv

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2015
About time. The current Twitter app on Mac is pretty useless. You can't watch videos on it. Can't wait for this App to release.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Tapbots needs to pull a Taylor Swift and sue Twitter for ripping off their design.

Seriously, why does every flat design UI look the same nowadays? Zero creativity. Exhibit A:

Reactions: Canubis and rekhyt

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Because they're all using the iOS template. I like it, makes things consistent.

I don't. There's just too much white and apps have no personality. You can still follow the guidelines and have uniqueness. Overcast (podcast app) is an example. Unfortunately, many apps are just too devoid of that nowadays.

At least on OS X things aren't that bad...yet.

Reactions: Canubis

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Tapbots needs to pull a Taylor Swift and sue Twitter for ripping off their design.

Seriously, why does every flat design UI look the same nowadays? Zero creativity. Exhibit A:
If it works, it works. It's pointless for every app the reinvent the wheel. I don't see that as a bad thing. If you know how to operate one app, you know how to use them all. Largely at least. It's the same on OS X where many apps look similar and always have.

I don't. There's just too much white and apps have no personality.
Tweetbot has a dark mode. But of course you knew that already. Right? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.