Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in various threads so apologies in advance.

Why is it that when I get a new Tweet for something I'm subscribed to, I never get any kind of notification? In Notifications I have Twitter set up to show banners, badges, and sounds. I get none of these for new tweets. Are you not supposed to get notifications when there's a new tweet? It would just be nice to get a visual notification when there's a new tweet. I'm only following about 4 people so it wouldn't be message-overload for me. Would just be nice to not have to open the app to find out if there's new tweets.

Thanks

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in various threads so apologies in advance.

Why is it that when I get a new Tweet for something I'm subscribed to, I never get any kind of notification? In Notifications I have Twitter set up to show banners, badges, and sounds. I get none of these for new tweets. Are you not supposed to get notifications when there's a new tweet? It would just be nice to get a visual notification when there's a new tweet. I'm only following about 4 people so it wouldn't be message-overload for me. Would just be nice to not have to open the app to find out if there's new tweets.

Thanks

they're designed to only notify on mentions or DM's. alot of people follow more than 4 people and the notifications could be an overload. Dunno about any of the other twitter apps, but this is the case for the official one. Now that's not saying they could at least include the option though.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
You could go to the twitter site and subscribe to text notifications for the folks you follow. After you do that, you'll get a text every time they tweet. Hope that helps.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

Thanks

I'm with ya on this one DJR...I go as far as go into

twitter>>myprofile>>following>>select a person that I'm following>>more>>notification options>>enable notifications

and still don't get any notifications that they posted a new tweet...I have to, like you mentioned go into the app itself and see if they tweeted something new.

If you select to receive notifications you should get a banner alert like you would email/SMS

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I'm with ya on this one DJR...I go as far as go into

twitter>>myprofile>>following>>select a person that I'm following>>more>>notification options>>enable notifications

and still don't get any notifications that they posted a new tweet...I have to, like you mentioned go into the app itself and see if they tweeted something new.

If you select to receive notifications you should get a banner alert like you would email/SMS

As stated before. Notifications are for mentions and DMs, you can't just get them for bog standard tweets. No matter what setting you use.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Reinstall the Twitter app and check within the app settings that it's set to push the notifications.

wow.. way to even read the post.

i'm not sure if this works, but if you click their profile on twitter, scroll down and select more.

you'll see "notification options". perhaps if you enable those, you will get notifications every time they tweet?

this is an odd request though as people aren't always posting something you want to hear, even if you're following 4 people.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
wow.. way to even read the post.

i'm not sure if this works, but if you click their profile on twitter, scroll down and select more.

you'll see "notification options". perhaps if you enable those, you will get notifications every time they tweet?

this is an odd request though as people aren't always posting something you want to hear, even if you're following 4 people.

Nope, that doesn't do that. The enable/disable notifications on a profile is for if they mention you as per my previous posts

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Is there a third-party twitter app that allows for these type of notifications. I would also love to get notifications for tweets from specific people.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Reinstall the Twitter app and check within the app settings that it's set to push the notifications.

There doesn't seem to be an option within the Twitter app to "push" notifications. I did, however, discover that under each person you follow, you can enable/disable notifications. I've selected "enable" - maybe that will do something.

Still don't understand why, in my iPhone Settings, they allow you to customize the Twitter notifications if you never get any notifications. This is the only app that seems to behave oddly and is kinda nonsensical when it comes how/when it notifies you of new activitity. Confused......

----------

Check out my favorite Tweetbot.

I heard this is good, but I'd rather not download another app just to compensate for the shortcomings of the original app. I just wish the original app would work the way I want it to! :(

----------

Nope, that doesn't do that. The enable/disable notifications on a profile is for if they mention you as per my previous posts

Oh, ok ... so choosing "enable", like I just did, still isn't going to get me what I want. Drat!

----------

You could go to the twitter site and subscribe to text notifications for the folks you follow. After you do that, you'll get a text every time they tweet. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Would rather not have texts ... I just want the app notifications to work like every other app works. Not having a lot of luck, though.

----------

I wonder if the people that work at Twitter could help to de-mystify this ... ?? I never even thought of just e-mailing them directly.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Twitter notification settings on the iPhone itself:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    122.1 KB · Views: 85

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Twitter notification settings within the Twitter app:

Attachments

• photo-1.PNG
    photo-1.PNG
    76.3 KB · Views: 70

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Twitter notification settings within the Twitter app:

Again, that's only for mentions and replies as I have stated many times in this thread, it even shows it in the picture! The OP wants it for all tweets, not just mentions, replies and DMs. Nice to see you read the thread properly and checked that why you posted actually worked for what was wanted... Lol

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Again, that's only for mentions and replies as I have stated many times in this thread, it even shows it in the picture! The OP wants it for all tweets, not just mentions, replies and DMs. Nice to see you read the thread properly and checked that why you posted actually worked for what was wanted... Lol

I am the OP lol. But you're right, the settings within the Twitter app are self-explanatory. But that still leaves my other photo - the Twitter notification settings on the iPhone itself lead you to believe that if you turn everything on, like I have, then you'll get all Twitter notifications - not just messages and mentions.

I think I'm just gonna have to face the fact that you most likely can't get notifications for all tweets :rolleyes:

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK

Thanks

I've been using an app called 'Boxcar' to get notifications from Twitter (and Facebook, and hotmail, and a few other bits and pieces. There's a free version (with ad's) and if you don't like the ads, you can pay to get rid of them. Try the free version- the ads have never annoyed me enough to pay to upgrade the app.

http://boxcar.io/download

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I've been using an app called 'Boxcar' to get notifications from Twitter (and Facebook, and hotmail, and a few other bits and pieces. There's a free version (with ad's) and if you don't like the ads, you can pay to get rid of them. Try the free version- the ads have never annoyed me enough to pay to upgrade the app.

http://boxcar.io/download

Thanks for the tip.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I am the OP lol. But you're right, the settings within the Twitter app are self-explanatory. But that still leaves my other photo - the Twitter notification settings on the iPhone itself lead you to believe that if you turn everything on, like I have, then you'll get all Twitter notifications - not just messages and mentions.

I think I'm just gonna have to face the fact that you most likely can't get notifications for all tweets :rolleyes:

Lol sorry, I was half awake and didn't see the name properly. Yep the native app and the 3rd party apps don't do it. I forgot about boxcar but I loathe to trust 3rd party apps with my username and password for other things. I know they were designed that way cos the majority follow people that tweet alot, like celebs, news, etc, so you can end up with a stupid amount of notifications

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Lol sorry, I was half awake and didn't see the name properly. Yep the native app and the 3rd party apps don't do it. I forgot about boxcar but I loathe to trust 3rd party apps with my username and password for other things. I know they were designed that way cos the majority follow people that tweet alot, like celebs, news, etc, so you can end up with a stupid amount of notifications

True, but it would be nice to at least have the option to receive all tweets if you so desired. Just frustrating that you're not given the choice either way.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
You could try tweet push! Every tweet your friends will post you will receive a notification. And it works well with the original tweeter app by launching it automatically when you click the read button from the push notification!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.