Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Economist

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I recently ran out of space on my 16 GB 3rd generation iPad and when I looked at what I could delete I discovered the official Twitter app was using 1 full GB of my precious storage!

I found out there's no way of deleting the app's "cache", so I deleted it and reinstalled it. The app seems to weigh 16 MB after a fresh install and to my surprise after two or three days of usage it now weighs 76 MB!

Does anyone know what the hell is that app storing, how can I avoid that behaviour or how can I delete whatever it is storing?

I haven't found anything about this after a quick googling.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I use Tweetbot regularly and its cache is only 401 MB (including the app itself). I highly suggest it as a Twitter client. It's the best app on the store for Twitter.

The Economist

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I did some research. Apparently all iOS apps store some sort of cache, I thought it was some sort of app–specific thing, but this is widespread. It, iOS, supposedly cleans the cache from time to time, automatically.

Some of my apps store data over 10 times the app's size. I personally find this ridiculous. What in the world are all these apps storing?

On one hand, some apps store a couple of KB of data. Netflix weighs 31.3 MB and it's storing 25.7 MB. And on the other hand, some apps store hundreds of MB's of data that you probably don't need there. Flipboard, Twitter, Bloomberg, Reuters, CNN, all of these apps were storing hundreds of MB's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.