Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Just updated it a while ago, but I haven't tested it out yet. I don't know what took so long for them to add this. But anyway, the Facebook push notifications don't work 50% of the time, so I don't know how well this will work.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I want push notifications for timelines.

If you follow a lot of people and don't want to get annoyed from minute by minute notifications then you could choose which people you want to get notifications for when they tweet something.

I wish Twitter had done this, it would take it farther from the other twitter apps.

But not complaining. It's still a good update. Just always wanted that feature.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008

If you follow a lot of people and don't want to get annoyed from minute by minute notifications then you could choose which people you want to get notifications for when they tweet something.

I wish Twitter had done this, it would take it farther from the other twitter apps.

I've been wanting that same feature for a long time myself. I've come to rely on text notifications for specific people in my timeline instead. It's not ideal but it's really I can get right now.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's a nice addition, but Boxcar still offer more features. Different sounds AND a quiet period.

I'm glad Twitter added this. For many people this will be good enough. But I'll still be using Boxcar for my Twitter notices.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010

I will never understand the need for people to follow other people minute to minute for updates... Don't you guys have jobs/other responsibilities that require your attention more ?

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

ItsJustafnPhone said:

I will never understand the need for people to follow other people minute to minute for updates... Don't you guys have jobs/other responsibilities that require your attention more ?

Lol

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006

you do know we all don't work 24/7 right? and besides you could be following people at work I know a few people who actually use it to communicate example some one could text my twitter name if they don't have my cell on me and say he there's a traffic jam on what ever highway.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida

It's just like receive text messages. receiving a notification of your timeline lets you stay updated rather than checking to see if theres any new tweets.

It goes the same with mail. Theres a reason why it's defaulted to push mail instead of manual.

Following other people minute by minute for updates is a side thing in our daily lives. It's just multitasking and keeping us busy while we do our personal things.

Jai.Mac

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I'm really happy with the update and welcome push notifications for direct messages or anyone mentioning me but can you imagine having a thousand + followers and having push on for that? As much as I love my iPhone one thing that majorly needs a revamp is the notification system. I envision the phone having a nervous breakdown when a couple hundred push notifications come in because everyone you know is pushing a new tweet in every second! :shudders:

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I'm really happy with the update and welcome push notifications for direct messages or anyone mentioning me but can you imagine having a thousand + followers and having push on for that? As much as I love my iPhone one thing that majorly needs a revamp is the notification system. I envision the phone having a nervous breakdown when a couple hundred push notifications come in because everyone you know is pushing a new tweet in every second! :shudders:

Just choose a a few of your favorite twitterers for push notification. Not everyone.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Pretty cool that they updated to give push notifications, but I'm confused. Can someone point me to WHERE you actually set which accounts to push??? I've looked all through the app and in the settings on the phone itself (and the notifications settings) and I can't find anywhere where you can set individual accounts to push.

For example, I follow Kentucky Sports Radio...how do I set the Twitter app to push just that account so I know when they've entered a new tweet?

Doom878

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I very much prefer Echofon. Maybe I'm not using the Twitter app right. Can you write a tweet and have your following list readily available to click on rather than copy and paste? A big pain when you want to tweet multiple people. Also I like how Echofon has the camera button so you can easily add a pic to a tweet.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I very much prefer Echofon. Maybe I'm not using the Twitter app right. Can you write a tweet and have your following list readily available to click on rather than copy and paste? A big pain when you want to tweet multiple people. Also I like how Echofon has the camera button so you can easily add a pic to a tweet.

Yeah, on the Twitter app, you can do both. This is what the screen looks like when you're going to write a tweet:
photonov17101455am.jpg

The button I highlighted bring up a set of menus in place of the keyboard:
photonov17101618am.jpg

The "Camera" button lets you take a photo. The "Photo Library" button allows you to bring a photo already taken that is in your library. And the "Usernames" button allows you to search the people you follow (perhaps your followers as well, I'm not sure) by their twitter name or real name so that you can add their twitter username to your tweet.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Pretty cool that they updated to give push notifications, but I'm confused. Can someone point me to WHERE you actually set which accounts to push??? I've looked all through the app and in the settings on the phone itself (and the notifications settings) and I can't find anywhere where you can set individual accounts to push.

For example, I follow Kentucky Sports Radio...how do I set the Twitter app to push just that account so I know when they've entered a new tweet?

I don't think there's a way to do that. I'm pretty sure that you can set it up to get push notifications for ALL people you follow but you can't choose to receive notifications for only certain people - kind of useless if you ask me. If you follow a lot of people there's no way you want a notification every single time one of them posts a new tweet - that would get annoying really quickly and it would destroy your battery. I'd personally only want to get notifications for maybe a couple people but there's no way to do that other than the text alerts directly from Twitter (and those aren't always reliable either). The notifications for direct messages, mentions and replies is nice but lots of twitter apps already do that and Boxcar does it rather nicely as well. It's still a step in the right direction though.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
you can use sms updates just just go to twitters website and click on sms alerts on the follower

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
It's about time, although I've already moved on to another app - Echofon Pro. It's time for Echofon to update its UI. It's kinda ugly and outdated. They have a lot of features that the official Twitter app doesn't have though. I tried switching back yesterday to Twitter for Iphone, but I didn't last long.

Doom878

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, on the Twitter app, you can do both. This is what the screen looks like when you're going to write a tweet:
photonov17101455am.jpg

The button I highlighted bring up a set of menus in place of the keyboard:
photonov17101618am.jpg

The "Camera" button lets you take a photo. The "Photo Library" button allows you to bring a photo already taken that is in your library. And the "Usernames" button allows you to search the people you follow (perhaps your followers as well, I'm not sure) by their twitter name or real name so that you can add their twitter username to your tweet.

Thanks!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I don't think there's a way to do that. I'm pretty sure that you can set it up to get push notifications for ALL people you follow but you can't choose to receive notifications for only certain people - kind of useless if you ask me. If you follow a lot of people there's no way you want a notification every single time one of them posts a new tweet - that would get annoying really quickly and it would destroy your battery. I'd personally only want to get notifications for maybe a couple people but there's no way to do that other than the text alerts directly from Twitter (and those aren't always reliable either). The notifications for direct messages, mentions and replies is nice but lots of twitter apps already do that and Boxcar does it rather nicely as well. It's still a step in the right direction though.

Well, that sucks. But thank you for the explanation. I was hoping this new feature would have that ability, but I guess it doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.