Twitter on iOS 5 vs. other Twitter Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sakau2007, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I'm about to take the plunge and grab iOS 5. I've used echofon for a couple years and it's always worked well. When I upgrade to iOS 5, will I be able to do without Echofon? Or does the built in twittering apply to whatever 3rd party app I have installed?

If the former, how does iOS 5 native twitter compare to echofon and other twitter apps?

2. Razeus macrumors 601

You. still. need. a. Twitter. app.

The iPhone integration is for posting things (pics, links, etc.).

If you want to actually use Twitter, you still an Twitter app.

;)

3. grittyman20 macrumors newbie

Echofon works well with iOS 5. I'm still trying to decide between that one and the official app...

4. jigmeister macrumors member

i love twitter and have tried quite a few apps but i always come back to the official twitter app.. its simplicity just wins for me. Ive tried tweetbot which is great alternative for me.

why do so many people use echofon instead of the twitter app.. whats the advantages?

5. Razeus macrumors 601

6. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I like Tweetbot too, but I can't get the notifications to work.

7. grittyman20 macrumors newbie

I'd say because of the features. The ability to RT, mute users/hashtags, and sync with desktop are nice to have.

8. Scotty Atlas macrumors newbie

Scotty Atlas

Have you made sure they're enabled in the settings within the app itself?
    I haven't had any trouble with them at all, I've been pretty pleased with the notifications from Tweetbot. They're fast, and show up just like any other native notification in the notification center.

9. SoloStyle macrumors regular

Are there any Twitter apps that actually let you get notified for tweets from specific users?

10. pettifogger06 macrumors member

Yep. Not sure what the deal is. I'm new to iPhone (although I'm pretty familiar) and the only thing I dislike so far are notifications. I'm sure it is app specific, but my notifications (all turned on) are either lagging or non-existent.

I do wish tweetbot would allow timed refresh with notifications so that I can monitor how many tweets are in my timeline at a specific time (useful for breaking news, etc.). I used Tweetdeck for Android, which allowed this. I do think Tweetbot is the best all around twitter client/app I've used, however.

11. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Upon the advice of some people on here, I tried the official twitter app.

I thought it was awful. Deleting tweets is somewhat of a chore. And you can't easily retweet with a comment/adding to it. You click retweet and it's sent. Incredibly annoying.

I'm back to old faithful, Echofon.

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The unread sync between iDevices and desktop/laptop with Echofon can't be beat. That was the selling point for me.

13. seraveegn003 macrumors newbie

of course u are still need a official twitter app...

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Haven't updated to ios5 yet but I swore I've read some articles saying that facebook would be just as integrated. I'm more interested in that.