Twitter reader client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nabisco, Aug 22, 2011.

1. nabisco macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm new to twitter but having a bit of difficulty finding a desktop client that meets my requirements. It might be that I've misunderstood the point of twitter, so any advice is welcome. I'm using twitter primarily as a reader and occasionally reply to tweets, but the following are my main criteria:

1. A clear indication of unread tweets - I follow about 50 people/companies and want to read everything they tweet. Therefore when I log-in/open the client, I need to be able to see clearly and immediately what's new. If I use twazzup there is a yellow bar to indicate new tweets but it has a problem of neverending duplicate tweets. A html shortcut to first unread message would be better.

2. Conversations. I need to be able to see replies to the tweets of people I'm following. I can do this on twitter.com by clicking on the tweet, but not on other clients. What gives?

3. Scrolling. Anything built with Adobe Air is awful.

If anyone could recommend something that fits these criteria that would be much appreciated. I've tried quite a few, but they always seem deficient in some way. Thanks!

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Twitter for mac and Twitterific are good clients. Echofon is good also.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I use Tweetbot on the iPhone. never really felt the need to read tweets on my Mac.

If you're interested though "TweetDeck" is supposed to be a good desktop client. There is also an iPhone app so i'd assume both would talk to each other in relation to "read" Tweets.

http://www.tweetdeck.com/

4. nabisco thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies but, as far as I can see, neither Twitter for Mac, Echofon nor Tweetdeck let you view conversations. For example, if someone I follow tweets that they want recommendations for a restaurant in a certain area or a blog on a certain topic, I want to be able to see what their followers recommend.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Ahh, Tweetbot does that on the phone by dragging the tweet left.

http://tapbots.com/software/tweetbot/

[​IMG]

No desktop client though :(

6. reubs macrumors 68000

And Twitterrific does that on the Mac. You can see replies to an author, and you can track conversations between folks, as long as they use the "reply" button to a specific tweet. I really like Twitterrific on my desktop; I'd highly recommend it.

7. nabisco thread starter macrumors newbie

we have a winner - Twitterrific it is! Thanks for the responses, I'm amazed that this isn't a feature in all clients, but then I guess a lot of people just use twitter for writing rather than reading...