Twitter shows up in "Updates" of Mac App Store even though I never downloaded it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superriku11, May 21, 2013.

1. superriku11 macrumors member

superriku11

I have no idea what actually could've caused this. I don't use social networks at all, so there's not even a chance I would've downloaded Twitter, before someone considers that.

On top of that, Twitter doesn't even show up in my "Purchases" tab, but it does in my "Updates" for whatever reason. Screenshots below.

Updates Tab
    [​IMG]

Purchases Tab
    [​IMG]

At first I was concerned that someone may've somehow logged into my account, but then I realized since Twitter wasn't marked as purchased it couldn't have happened. So I've concluded this must be some sort of glitch. I've restarted MAS but not had it go away. Has anybody else had something similar to this happen to them?

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Most likely caused by pirated apps. Did you pirate any?

3. superriku11 thread starter macrumors member

superriku11

No, but even if I did, it wouldn't make a difference. Pirated programs are one of two things. One, a serial being entered into the regular version of the program to activate it, and if necessary, blocking the activation servers so it can't validate the serial. Two, modified machine code that allows the program to run without activation checks.

Without integrity verification however, a program or computer system has no way of distinguishing a modified program from an unmodified one. And I'm fairly certain the MAS doesn't have a hash file for nearly every program that exists to validate them.

And even if it did, I still do not see where you draw your conclusions from. How would a modified or otherwise pirated program cause a program that I never use to show up in my updates?

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

My my, aren't we defensive. :D

Pirated app store apps have fake receipts inserted so that it can run on any Mac regardless of Apple ID. They'll insert, for example, the App store receipt of Twitter, onto a paid app so that app can now be launched without issue. When the Mac App Store scans for updates, it checks those receipts and that's the primary cause for updates showing for apps that you don't have installed.

5. superriku11 thread starter macrumors member

superriku11

I'm not defensive, as I have no reason to be. I'm simply clarifying the workings of pirated programs to someone who does not seem to understand them, and questioning the illogical thought that they would strangely affect my MAS updates.

I did not know the MAS receipts were editable though, I once heard they worked off of a per-account cryptographic key system, therefore, could not be modified to be used on another account.

I try to stay away from the MAS as much as possible though, as I much prefer the traditional way of installing and using programs, and I don't like the idea that there's a record of everything I use. I only use it for what certain developers refuse to upload elsewhere. Which is why I find it even more bizarre that something would show up in my updates. Especially something I haven't even downloaded elsewhere.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Here's a link that explains how:

http://threatpost.com/mac-app-store-safeguards-bypassed-opening-pirated-apps-010711/

I know that this worked for a fact because I had pirated a MAS app (guilty as charged and am ashamed of it) way back when and kept getting an update for twitter as well, which I did not install.

(I'm proud to say that this was a something I stopped years ago and now every app I have on my mac/iphone/ipad (and there's a ton of them) was purchased legitimately including the one I originally had pirated.)

Anyway, if this is indeed an error in your case and not a twitter receipt lying around somewhere in one of your apps, the best thing to do is delete the spotlight index and have it reindex. That should fix it.

7. superriku11 thread starter macrumors member

superriku11

Don't feel like spending the time to wait for Spotlight to reindex by entire drive, so if that's what's necessary, I'll just leave it instead.

Thanks for the information though.