Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today announced the launch of a new Twitter.com experience on the desktop, which includes several new features and design changes.

The Twitter website on desktop has a whole new look that's cleaner and more modern, along with support for bookmarks so you can save tweets plus an easily accessible Explore page for getting a quick look at what's trending. Design wise, it's similar to the Twitter for mobile experience.

newtwitterdesign-800x583.jpg

Account switching can be done using the side navigation bar, which is an easier way to manage multiple accounts. The new Dim and Dark Mode Lights Out themes have been added, and there are other new color options to personalize your profile.

So fresh, so clean. The updated https://t.co/JFPfsFhrLg is here. We heard you, and here's some of what's new: Built-in personalization, like colors and text size ☑️More visible features, like Lists and Bookmarks ☑️And so much more! Let us know what you think. https://t.co/Q5nkCw9Y2n - Twitter Design (@TwitterDesign) July 15, 2019

Conversations are easier to follow thanks to new conversation threading tools, and along with better access to bookmarks, the new web experience offers up quick access to lists and profile options.

On the Twitter.com website, some people will see an option to enable the new look now, and Twitter says it will be launching for everyone in the near future.
New features and a new look are launching soon. Bookmarks, account switching, dark mode, and so much more -- before long, you'll be able to see what's happening even faster.
Twitter has long been teasing its updated web experience, and Twitter for web users won't have to wait much longer to give it a try.

Article Link: Twitter Starts Rolling Out Updated Website With New Design

TVGenius

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Yuma, AZ
Noticed it on my laptop last night. New tweets don't appear when you have it sorted chronologically, and the 'See X New Tweets" doesn't appear at the top, so manual refresh is the only way.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Noticed it on my laptop last night. New tweets don't appear when you have it sorted chronologically, and the 'See X New Tweets" doesn't appear at the top, so manual refresh is the only way.

Good to know.

I was going to check it out, but I pretty much just use the official apps exclusively. I miss the days when Tweetbot (and other 3rd party clients) had full access.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
The Twitter website on desktop has a whole new look that's cleaner and more modern...
Which is tech. company-speak for 'uglier and more phone-like.'
[doublepost=1563218222][/doublepost]
It's 2019 - can websites SERIOUSLY stop trying to make mobile and desktop versions look the same? Literally nobody asked for this redesign.
Problem is, it's always about making desktop sites more "mobile" and never vice versa.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Twitter - The best at rolling out updates and changes that nobody asked for while ignoring the issues that users are complaining about regarding their app.

When you run the Twitter app in slide-over mode and click a URL it takes over your main screen with the website instead of displaying it in a Safari view in the slide-over window. Drives me absolutely batty.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
This looks like all the other under weighted bulemia websites. We need scott forstall so desperately everywhere!
The complete ui design has been going rogue

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I don't like it. I literally thought something was broken when I logged into it. I usually only spend half an hour there. Monday it was 4 minutes. Well that's a timesaver I guess, so I won't complain, just won't go there much any more, I only used it to follow news outlets for media to which I subscribe so I'll just go back to using bookmarks to their homepages.

Reactions: AngerDanger

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
people still use twitter? I only know it still exists cus of Howard stern talking about it. My clients don't even want it on their ads anymore

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Hmm, it asked me a couple of weeks ago to change.

Same here -- I got those changes at least two weeks ago. Maybe it makes a difference that I'm a very frequent Twitter user?
[doublepost=1563286507][/doublepost]
people still use twitter? I only know it still exists cus of Howard stern talking about it. My clients don't even want it on their ads anymore

Funny, I wouldn't have realized Howard Stern was still around but for the fact I recently saw him mentioned in a tweet.

amaguire

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010

Twitter today announced the launch of a new Twitter.com experience on the desktop, which includes several new features and design changes.

The Twitter website on desktop has a whole new look that's cleaner and more modern, along with support for bookmarks so you can save tweets plus an easily accessible Explore page for getting a quick look at what's trending. Design wise, it's similar to the Twitter for mobile experience.

newtwitterdesign-800x583.jpg

Account switching can be done using the side navigation bar, which is an easier way to manage multiple accounts. The new Dim and Dark Mode Lights Out themes have been added, and there are other new color options to personalize your profile.

Conversations are easier to follow thanks to new conversation threading tools, and along with better access to bookmarks, the new web experience offers up quick access to lists and profile options.

On the Twitter.com website, some people will see an option to enable the new look now, and Twitter says it will be launching for everyone in the near future.Twitter has long been teasing its updated web experience, and Twitter for web users won't have to wait much longer to give it a try.

Article Link: Twitter Starts Rolling Out Updated Website With New Design
[doublepost=1564447816][/doublepost]Ever since the latest update, scrolling has been slow and jerky on my desktop. The feed also seems to jump ahead prematurely sometimes. Is there any fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.