Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter is testing "edge-to-edge" tweets that span the width of the timeline in its official iOS app, a move that would make viewing photos and videos a more full-screen experience.

twitter-edge-to-edge.jpg

As Twitter's demonstration shows, the change brings an Instagram-style look to tweeted media, making use of the dead space on either side of pictures, videos, and GIFs.

Twitter told The Verge that it's testing the change because it "wants to better support conversations that are both visual and text-based."

The test is being rolled out today with a limited number of users in order to test feedback, and Twitter has given no indication of when it would go live for all users if reaction to it turned out to be sufficiently positive.

Article Link: Twitter Tests Edge-to-Edge Images and Video on iOS

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
When you say testing you mean have already rolled out. I have this now on my iPhone as of 7th September 🤷🏻
C52A9D28-CAD3-4630-8E4C-23276D477871.jpeg

bobtem

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
I can proudly say that I’ve never used Twitter, but I do have an opinion on UI design - and I think the existing layout actually makes it easier to distinguish between posts. Sadly, I am a user of FB, and their UI is the most over-engineered piece of programming on planet earth. But that’s another thread.

icogniito

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2021
Got this update yesteday. If I am being honest it makes things worse, I don't want to have a single image taking up the entire screen when that real estate could be used to show multiple tweets like it's always been. Hopefully they add a way to roll back to the old design, I will stick to using twitter on my computer until I get the old feed back on my phone.

Xtir

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
Still no reason to (re)open a twitter account, not interested in everybody’s edge-2-edge opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: SurferPup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.