Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tiwtter-icon-250x250.jpg
Twitter is testing a "Snooze" button that allows you to pause push notifications from the mobile app for an allotted time.

Discovered by tech blogger Jane Manchun Wong, the experimental feature lets users temporarily snooze push notifications for one hour, three hours, or 12 hours.

As Wong notes, the setting should come in handy for users who want to prevent their phones from incessantly buzzing because their tweet went viral, or if they just want to turn their attention away from social media for a while.

In its present incarnation the feature appears as a crossed-out bell icon in the top-right corner of Twitter's notifications tab. Tapping the icon brings up a sheet of three snooze durations to choose from.

Twitter is testing Snooze feature, allowing users to pause notifications for 1 hour, 3 hours or 12 hours!I wrote a blog for the first look of this unreleased feature https://t.co/EoNYaRHraQTip @Techmeme pic.twitter.com/qm3aMM2Q00 - Jane Manchun Wong (@wongmjane) August 6, 2019

When a snooze time is set, users don't receive push notifications from Twitter, but notifications still appear in the notifications tab. The feature is independent of any system-level notifications settings for the app, and can be disabled with another tap of the Snooze icon.

Snooze was discovered in Twitter's Android app. The social media company often trials new features on one platform or in select territories before rolling them out globally if the testing phase is considered a success.

Twitter has been experimenting with ways to give more control to users as it works to create a "healthier service" through cutting down on abuse and spam.

In June, for example, the company introduced a "Hide Replies" feature that provides Twitter users with more control over the replies that are visible following a tweet.

Article Link: Twitter Tests 'Snooze' Feature That Temporarily Silences Notifications

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just turn off notification for twitter entirely. And judging by the description, I am not confident enough to say twitter is pushing notifications at a better timing.

What would be good is the ability to learn how and when the user uses Twitter, and intelligently push notification at the right timing.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I use it sparingly but have never had push notifications on. When I want to see what’s going on I login; otherwise whatever else is going on can wait. I only use it for politics and news items.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Let's be real, this is for all of those unpopular hot takes people tweet. This is like Twitter hand us a spray bottle to put out a dumpster fire that is the Twittersphere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.