Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter will prevent posts from unverified accounts from appearing in its "For You" algorithmic feed starting Saturday, April 15, CEO Elon Musk announced on Tuesday. The new policy means that only posts originating from paid-for Twitter Blue accounts will be included in the platform's stream of recommended tweets.

Twitter-Feature.jpg

In a post announcing the impending change, Musk said the decision to no longer recommend tweets from accounts that don't have a blue verified badge was "the only realistic way to address advanced AI bot swarms taking over."

In the same tweet, Musk revealed that the ability to vote in polls on the social media platform would also require verification for the same reason. "It is otherwise a hopeless losing battle," claimed the Twitter chief.

In an earlier post, Musk said that paid verification significantly increases the cost of using bots and makes it easier to identify them.

Twitter relaunched its Twitter Blue subscription option in December after the initial launch saw accounts with blue checkmarks being used to impersonate businesses, celebrities, and other high-profile individuals. The only requirement to get a blue checkmark was to spend $8 (or $11 if subscribing from the iOS app).

To prevent impersonations, Twitter Blue subscribers now receive a blue checkmark next to their name only after they verify their phone number and their account has been reviewed.

Subscribers who change their username, display name, or profile photo, temporarily lose the blue checkmark until their account is reviewed again. However, Twitter does not ask for any form of official identification to verify ownership at any point in the sign-up process, which some users argue calls into question Musk's logic for blocking unverified accounts from its "For You" tab.

Twitter last week also said that it would begin to wind down its "legacy" verified program and remove "legacy verified" blue badges on April 1.

Twitter Blue has become a tentpole policy of the platform as Musk seeks to find new ways to generate revenue. Since the Tesla CEO took over, the market price of the company is said to have tanked. According to a New York Times report, last week Musk told employees in an email memo that Twitter is now valued at $20 billion, which is less than half of the $44 billion that Musk paid for the company last year.

Update: The Twitter chief appears to have backtracked on his new paid-for "For You" policy following a user backlash – Musk tweeted later in the day: "Forgot to mention that accounts you follow directly will also be in For You, since you have explicitly asked for them."

Article Link: Twitter to Stop Unverified Accounts From Appearing in Recommended Tweets [Updated]

Last edited:

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2019
My man Musk knows how to ruin a platform. The For You feed was always annoying, but now it's only going to be filled with tweets from Musk fans who pay a billionaire $8 a month?

And polls will also only be able to be voted on by Musk fans who pay the man $8 a month. Gee - I wonder what the results will be of any of the BS polls Space Karen loves tweeting every other week.

Musk is a joke.

The only good thing about him buying Twitter is that it destroys the myth that he is any kind of genius. The guy has less business acumen than the average person who just earned their MBA.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I'm not sure this is the move for keeping lots of people on Twitter. The analytics feature already showed me that nobody was seeing my tweets anyway. What's the point of dealing with the negativity and stress of using Twitter when nobody is going to see what you're tweeting anyway? I went and deleted most of my tweets and stopped using it.

The only result of continuing to use it is someone from real life might see a view of mine they don't like. Not worth it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Madness really. Having to pay £11 a month just to use twitter basically. For you gives you plenty of tweets you’re interested in so now that’s gone what can you really view just people you follow really. Shouldn’t need to pay to use an app for basic tasks.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
If companies want to charge for their previously free service, by all means go ahead. It might be annoying for those who use it or rely on it, but c'est la vie.

I just wish they would stop trying to act as if they're doing us a favour. Just be honest and say "Look, it's for money. We make some, we'd like to make more. Now cough it up or get lost."

Instead we get the song and dance about security or bots or whatever.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Well yeah! Everyone knows that only those who pay for Twitter Blue make any content worth consuming! /s
I have mistaken this user for @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗 thinking it was just another picture change...

They ask users to pay for Twitter Blue making them subscribers, then they want to allow subscribers to hide the verified badge [blue check mark], now they do not want non-paying users to have their tweets show up as recommended...

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Face it, folks - Musk is right:

the "for you" section is going to be so much better when it's made up of nothing but trolls and cryptopumps

Seriously though, this move is really a gift:

All blockable accounts in one handy tab.

Thanks, Elon! 👊

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
"the only realistic way to address advanced AI bot swarms taking over."
Yeah, right. All those free legacy verified accounts are just too risky to promote. Or those accounts with millions of followers … Surely, many of those are bots.

Nothing to do with desperately needing money. No, sir. Just power to the people, err, I mean, paying customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.