Twitterific is stuck in my menu bar =/

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cshumate, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cshumate macrumors newbie

I installed Twitterific today (as a new Mac user) just to try it out and after it started popping up every hour (plus constant Growl notifications) for an ad I decided I would rather just go to the website to read Tweets.

I uninstalled Twitter from the "My Applications" folder, even trying it with AppDelete. I removed Twitter from my "Growl" notifications. But I'm still getting it popping up for ads, etc. and the icon is still in my menu bar.

I tried re-downloading Twitter to see if it came with an uninstaller for the menu bar, and I couldn't find one.

So basically I'm stuck... Hopefully one of you guys can help me :)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Trying holding down the Cmd (apple) key and clicking and dragging it off of the menubar.

3. cshumate thread starter macrumors newbie

I had no luck with that :(

Also, the "Twitter" bird seems to disappear every once in a while but then come back, but there is an empty space between my time machine icon and my Growl icon, and if you click there the Twitter icon comes up. I don't know if this means anything...

4. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Check your Activity Monitor and quit anything Twitter-y looking. Then go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and make sure nothing Twitter-y is in there too. When you reboot, it should not be anywhere at all. Especially if AppDelete did its job of removing anything related to the app. I mean Twitterific should only be a single .app, right? When you installed it, you just dragged it into Applications rather than running an installer? If so, it should just be one bundle and some preference files that should all be gone now.

Did you reboot when you "uninstalled" the app before? And did you quit it first too?

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Sorry about the problen. If you still need a twitter client, try Tototl. Its waaay better. Very lightweight,basic, and unobtrusive.

6. cshumate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, the reboot actually worked :p I feel like an idiot now.

And thanks! I'll have to look into that. I really just didn't like how it popped up hourly for a stupid ad..

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

ME too. I also hated how all the tweets became unread after closing and opening!
    So far Tototl seems to just sit there waiting for to call on it, rather then pushing itself in my face.

8. cshumate thread starter macrumors newbie

I know!

One question though: I installed the most recent version of Tototl and put it in my apps folder but it either crashes or disappears for some reason I don't know only seconds after startup (not long enough for me to even start configuring...)

any ideas? Or maybe I could download version 1.3 or something?

9. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Strange...when it opens it does not show on the dock, just menu bar. (i think)

I can'T think of why this is happening, Try re-downloading and reinstalling. it could of not fully downloaded.

10. cshumate thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it does show the "T" icon on the menu bar. Does not come on the dock. I will try again later I suppose. :)

11. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Thats normal! double click the T and it will bring up the window, click the gear on the bottom to set up.

12. cshumate thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, but the application disappears, along with the T. I tried deleting and reinstalling and it's still doing the same thing.

Oh well, I'll try a few more times and if I can't get it to work I'll just keep it bookmarked for some other time :p

13. gumoz macrumors newbie

Tototl 1.6.1 Release

Hi guys, sorry for the inconvenience about the Dock Icon.

Tototl 1.6.1 has just been released. It now supports Dock Icon and Single Click Menu bar. Also it sports configurable Interfaces, try it out.

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yea when updating form 1.4 to 1.5 I had the quitting problem. Everything is working fine with 1.6. Great lil app!