Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Third-party Twitter client "Twitterrific" has dropped the price of the latest Mac app -- Twitterrific 5 for Mac [Direct Link] -- to $7.99, down from $19.99. The new price tag marks the lowest that Iconfactory's app has ever been on the Mac App Store, and follows a 50 percent discount to $9.99 that emerged in December 2017.

twitterific-for-mac-1.jpg

Twitterrific's sale for Mac appeared over the weekend on February 17, the day after Twitter announced it would officially stop supporting the main Twitter for Mac app. Twitter said that it plans to focus its attention on a "great Twitter experience that's consistent across all platforms," confirming that the Mac app wasn't on the company's list of priorities. Beginning last Friday, Twitter for Mac is no longer available to download, and within the next month the company will stop supporting it completely.

While Twitter guided users to the social network's desktop website for the "full Twitter experience on Mac," Twitterrific is now a cheaper alternative for those looking for an app to browse Twitter on a Mac. Twitterrific presents Tweets as they were originally seen on the social network, in a chronological order that filters out other extraneous content, like which Tweets your followers like.

twitterrific-for-mac-2.jpg

Twitterrific 5 also syncs your timelines across devices (including iPhone and iPad), supports mute filters, has multiple font and text size options, integrates with the Voice Over accessibility feature, and more.
Re-imagined from the ground up to be the Mac's most friendly, powerful and modern Twitter client. Twitterrific makes Twitter fun.

Twitterrific feels right at home on the Mac. Support for Notification Center, Retina displays, built-in sharing, beautiful animations, full-screen mode & more.
With the new $7.99 price tag, Twitterrific has also undercut Tweetbot's $9.99 price on the Mac App Store [Direct Link]. Thanks to ongoing updates and developer support, both Twitterrific and Tweetbot have been better received on the iTunes and Mac App Stores with 4-star ratings, compared to Twitter for Mac's 1-star rating at the time of its removal.

Article Link: Twitterrific 5 for Mac Drops to $7.99 Following Discontinuation of Twitter's Main Mac App

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Yeah the website sux with its advertising. (Almost?) impossible to see a single chronological list of tweets from a single user.

Reactions: Sasparilla

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Is there much disadvantage in just using the web portal?
Mainly for me -- having to deal with Twitter's new BS like "In case you missed it" and Tweets your followers like, which disrupt the flow of checking up on stuff you actually care about.

I'm pretty ingrained in Tweetbot after a few years, and have hundreds of mute filters activated, and Timeline syncing is great. Twitterrific has both of these features as well. If you check Twitter enough, $8-$10 is definitely worth the investment.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I can't find the dark mode...
click on edit profile and pick your theme
[doublepost=1519057673][/doublepost]
Mainly for me -- having to deal with Twitter's new BS like "In case you missed it" and Tweets your followers like, which disrupt the flow of checking up on stuff you actually care about.

I'm pretty ingrained in Tweetbot after a few years, and have hundreds of mute filters activated, and Timeline syncing is great. Twitterrific has both of these features as well. If you check Twitter enough, $8-$10 is definitely worth the investment.
OK I see.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
So turns out $20 for a Twitter app may be too high! Seriously, no way you drop the price this much if it’s doing well. Two massive drops in as many months suggests that there isn’t a very big market after you eliminate the kickstarter crowd.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Is there much disadvantage in just using the web portal?

No. In fact, the web version offers more features as many aren't offered through the API which these 3rd party apps use. For instance, you can't post a poll from these apps and can't tag people within photos. Those are just 2 of the many features that sadly aren't available outside the official Twitter offerings.

Reactions: smirking

talosman

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
So turns out $20 for a Twitter app may be too high! Seriously, no way you drop the price this much if it’s doing well. Two massive drops in as many months suggests that there isn’t a very big market after you eliminate the kickstarter crowd.

the Christmas price drop is part of the "App Santa" charity event organized by Real Mac Software. Also most developer drop the app price during Christmas anyway.

Price reductions are more often used to stimulate demand, not because something is selling poorly.

Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
8 bucks to tweet? That’s a narrow “professional need” audience for sure outside of social media marketing professionals I would think. I can’t think of many others who would have that kind of volume and that would find the web version to be that much of an ordeal.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
8 bucks to tweet? That’s a narrow “professional need” audience for sure outside of social media marketing professionals I would think. I can’t think of many others who would have that kind of volume and that would find the web version to be that much of an ordeal.

Just depends. The non chronological display of tweets in the Twitter web is seriously annoying and I don't follow that many people. $8 to get rid of that forever? Take me there. ;-)

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

I'm not a hardcore Tweeter, but I've paid for all the versions of Tweetbot on both iOS and macOS, as well as all versions of Twitterrific on macOS and iOS. I like the experience of them more, and I like supporting indie software development. I use Twitterrific atm, but I'll likely buy a new version of Tweetbot if and when it comes out.

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Still unclear on why Tweetdeck (https://tweetdeck.twitter.com) isn't preferable, especially if you want to see more than one view at a time. (On my Tweetdeck display, I have 10 continually updating columns, although I concede/confess I'm one of those nasty marketing people who needs that sort of thing.) Since it's owned by Twitter, the whole "Twitter-will-screw-the-third-party-app-guys" worry goes away. Yes, it uses a browser tab, and that's not particularly efficient, but most reasonably modern computers, much less recent Macs, shouldn't have a problem with that.

Reactions: tICM

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I wonder though, is the $8 a hook? And will later newer "improved" versions go back to the $20 fee and how often will that occur. Hmmm

Reactions: netwalker

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I used Twitter’s Mac app because I like having it open to the side while I might have safari open. I’ll probably pick this up since I think Tweetbot is a little over priced.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada

Third-party Twitter client "Twitterrific" has dropped the price of the latest Mac app -- Twitterrific 5 for Mac [Direct Link] -- to $7.99, down from $19.99. The new price tag marks the lowest that Iconfactory's app has ever been on the Mac App Store, and follows a 50 percent discount to $9.99 that emerged in December 2017.

twitterific-for-mac-1.jpg

Twitterrific's sale for Mac appeared over the weekend on February 17, the day after Twitter announced it would officially stop supporting the main Twitter for Mac app. Twitter said that it plans to focus its attention on a "great Twitter experience that's consistent across all platforms," confirming that the Mac app wasn't on the company's list of priorities. Beginning last Friday, Twitter for Mac is no longer available to download, and within the next month the company will stop supporting it completely.

While Twitter guided users to the social network's desktop website for the "full Twitter experience on Mac," Twitterrific is now a cheaper alternative for those looking for an app to browse Twitter on a Mac. Twitterrific presents Tweets as they were originally seen on the social network, in a chronological order that filters out other extraneous content, like which Tweets your followers like.

twitterrific-for-mac-2.jpg

Twitterrific 5 also syncs your timelines across devices (including iPhone and iPad), supports mute filters, has multiple font and text size options, integrates with the Voice Over accessibility feature, and more.
With the new $7.99 price tag, Twitterrific has also undercut Tweetbot's $9.99 price on the Mac App Store [Direct Link]. Thanks to ongoing updates and developer support, both Twitterrific and Tweetbot have been better received on the iTunes and Mac App Stores with 4-star ratings, compared to Twitter for Mac's 1-star rating at the time of its removal.

Article Link: Twitterrific 5 for Mac Drops to $7.99 Following Discontinuation of Twitter's Main Mac App
[doublepost=1519122347][/doublepost]Is there a good & FREE twitter app?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I used Twitter’s Mac app because I like having it open to the side while I might have safari open. I’ll probably pick this up since I think Tweetbot is a little over priced.

I'm not sure why Tweetbot is so highly rated. I find it really confusing to navigate. I get so lost I barely use it. Maybe I'll try Twitterific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.