Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After raising over $100,000 on Kickstarter earlier this year, The Iconfactory today has released an all-new, completely reimagined version of Twitterrific for Mac priced at $19.99 on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] in the United States.

twitterriffic-duo-800x681.jpg

The Iconfactory said its goal was to deliver a minimal Twitter client, like the original Twitterrific for Mac, but with a feature set that caters to how people use Twitter in 2017, as opposed to 2007.

Only eight months have passed since the crowdfunding campaign began, so some key features are still missing at launch, but The Iconfactory promises they will be added in subsequent updates to the app.

I was provided with an advanced preview of the brand new Twitterrific for Mac over the weekend to try out, and I've gathered some of my first impressions as a longtime Tweetbot for Mac user herein.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Twitterrific for Mac is Back: First Impressions and Comparison With Tweetbot

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Why they would price themselves at twice their direct competition's point to offer less features & polish is beyond me. Seems more like a $ grab with a promise of development that will bring dubious returns.

Reactions: profets and lars666

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
$100K free money for them to develop the app, and charging $20 a copy afterwards, while Tweetbot is $10, official client is $0 and web version is $0.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
I was using Tweetbot both on iOS and macOS for years but waited for Twitterrific Mac to be released. It was certainly not planned (in the contrary) but than came the Kickstarter campaign which I backed immediately.

I agree this first release is very functional but - of course - feature wise not in par with Tweetbots. Yet I do not regret backing this app development as after a few days working and learning I have completely forgotten Tweetbot.

Last but not least the MAS price sfor Twitterrific seems a bit high, although I can remember Tapbots had a same price level for Tweetbot in the past. They even lowered Pastebot 2 pricing in 2 days….

P.S Still don't understand what Twitter do themselves. I remember Tweetie which was in ongoing development, but now it is a different story (on Mac)

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Who cares about the icon evolution, what about competitive features and price?

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
This is £19.99 in the UK - my first reaction was '£20?! (gulp)'

I like Twitterrific for iOS but the price of the Mac version is off-putting.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, 20 bucks for a twitter app, seems a bit unrealistic.
Good quality Twitter apps have to price themselves high these days to avoid people just trying it out, using up a Twitter token, and then never using it again (but not freeing up their token). People who really need a good quality Twitter app will have no problem paying 20 notes for it, which was by no means an outrageous price for software before the App Store started the race to the bottom.

Jasd

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
20 bucks is allot of money for an app where there are many alternatives. Is there even a market for 3rd part apps like there used to be a few years back? The official twitter app has seen great improvements on its desktop client and will make do for 99% of non business use twitter users.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Pretty snooze review. People aren't going to buy and wait around hoping features are added. Lack of buying will mean less development and less likelihood features will be added.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Yes, that's one thing the Mac App Store does right: the best desktop Twitter clients on the market. Anything for Windows 10 is trash - including the official Twitter app.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I use Tweetbot because it's better than the official Twitter client. But Tweetbot does not "feel" like a native Mac app. It has an unnatural click-behavior. I find myself clicking multiple times and not getting the response that I expect. And it has some weird UI conventions, like displaying a popup menu when closing the window.

Sorry Tweetbot, I gave you a fair chance, but your developers are arrogant (based on my support ticket responses), they pass the blame too often, and they don't seem to understand what makes the Mac magical. They tried too hard to bring an iOS app to the Mac, and that's the level of convergence that is unnecessary. But at least they did a better job than the official Twitter team.

Time to try Twitterific.

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
On macOS: Have yet to see a good reason not to use the browser-based Tweetdeck over any of these. (And, yes, I do miss the good ol' Tweetdeck standalone app.) As for the official Twitter app itself: since Twitter owns Tweetdeck, it could add its show-stopper, the auto-refresh feature, at any time; why that hasn't happened continues to baffle me.

On iOS: Same note re the official Twitter app, but I have found Echofon Pro to be a good app there.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ha... I just went to purchase Twitterific from the Mac App Store in Canada, and the price is $27.99. Sorry... that's a deal-breaker for me.

The current exchange rate would only be $24.97, so to be charging an extra $4, when there's zero extra cost to the development team, doesn't sit right with me. I will not purchasing it simply out of principle.

Reactions: KtothaEvin

KtothaEvin

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2017
Ha... I just went to purchase Twitterific from the Mac App Store in Canada, and the price is $27.99. Sorry... that's a deal-breaker for me.

The current exchange rate would only be $24.97, so to be charging an extra $4, when there's zero extra cost to the development team, doesn't sit right with me. I will not purchasing it simply out of principle.

Agreed! What a joke!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It looks no different than the years-old version they already had, and it's still missing the features the old version was. I don't get what they used that $100K for.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
The biggest issue with this app is not just the price.

When new tweets come in it doesn't stick to top. So you have to manually scroll through the tweets to the top every time. This is super annoying when the official twitter client automatically streams tweets & sticks to top.

Also you can't see any likes by other people due to API issues.

Overall price to steep indeed for an app that lacks some features.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
The biggest issue with this app is not just the price.

When new tweets come in it doesn't stick to top. So you have to manually scroll through the tweets to the top every time. This is super annoying when the official twitter client automatically streams tweets & sticks to top.

Also you can't see any likes by other people due to API issues.

Overall price to steep indeed for an app that lacks some features.
I see others talking about the live streaming issue and i'll hold off until they fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.