Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I'm sorry for bringing this up, I'm sure it has been asked before but I can't find the thread.

I'm looking for a cradle that will allow me to plug in two 2.5" drives into a 3.5" bay.

My plan is to open up my Late 2012 27" iMac and install two 2.5" drives in places of the current 3.5" Then I will run one SATA cable to input for the internal drive and using an adapter hook up the other one to the slot for flash memory in the back.

Anyone have any experience with this or can give me some information?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If you are looking simply for a physical mounting bracket, this one might work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BH3Z8E/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will require a "Y" power cable adapter (which are common) to get power to both drives.

I don't quite understand how you are intending to hook up the SATA data on the second drive :confused:
The flash memory slot on the back of your iMac is for a "SD memory card", it is not SATA.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If you are looking simply for a physical mounting bracket, this one might work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BH3Z8E/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will require a "Y" power cable adapter (which are common) to get power to both drives.

I don't quite understand how you are intending to hook up the SATA data on the second drive :confused:
The flash memory slot on the back of your iMac is for a "SD memory card", it is not SATA.

Unless he's talking about a USB to SATA adapter. But even then, I think the SD card slot is soldered to the main board, not on a removable USB header. So I don't think his plan will work.

But, he can use the SATA connector for the SSD option (presuming it's present on his motherboard; meant for the SSD of the Fusion drive or SSD-only option) and the other to the SATA connector for the HDD.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
:eek::eek::eek:

Of course .... that makes more sense. The choice of wording caused me to erroneously assume the use of the flash memory slot on the back of the iMac. I always imagine the SSD socket is probably already populated on a recent iMac these days.

There are at least a couple of adapter kits available to convert the SSD card slot to a SATA interface which could be used with a standard form factor SSD drive.

mpbowden

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
PCIe SSD Late 2012 27" iMac

The post above me may be saying the exact same thing but if you look at the hyperlink attached and then a picture of the bottom of a MBP I believe it connects with the same type of adapter as the optical drive uses. However, I don't care how fast its gonna get it in. When I finally lost, recovered, and had replaced every screw because nearly the whole board has to come out I would only want to sell it accompanied by a "man hours invoice."

Funny how what you do for a living on the clock is cake. When you are tired and come home to something like this I'd rather just replace the 3.5" and feel special.. haha

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227740

-Patrick

----------

I was way off on the last post but here is where the PCIe SSD hooks up if anyone feels like putting a a small SS SAN under the hood... lol. peace

-Patrick :) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.