Two 2010 Mac Pro's with no video or audio issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by reel2reel, Sep 18, 2010.

1. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Just posting my personal experience here for anyone wondering.

I've got a new Hex running dual monitors from a 5870 (30" Dell 3007 via DL-DVI and 24" Samsung via MDP) without any issues. No snow, no black screens (so far anyway) and no sleep issues.

I've also been working on a 2010 8-core we just got at work which is running 2 x 24" Samsungs via 5870 without issue.

No sound pop issues on either.

Maybe there are just some bad batches of 5870's out there? I wonder if anyone is installing 3rd party drivers for monitors? I don't ever install any drivers, just use the built-in Apple support.

EDIT: Can anyone having the 5770/5870 problems recommend any ways I can try to make the snow/black screens happen? Or is it totally unpredictable? I've got PS and Lightroom open right now. Could've sworn I saw a now blip when I launched PS, but maybe I'm imagining things now. I'm willing to test the 8-core, too, if there's anything I can specifically do.

2. unimoog macrumors newbie

New Hex and 2010 8-core: which is the quietest one?

If you compare the new Hex and the 2010 8-core: which of them is the quietest machine? Or is the fan noise the same?

Thank you for help.

I can't decide which one I shoud buy for my logic daw...

Johannes

3. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

unimoog,

From what I could tell, they're both the same. Mine is completely silent. Mind you, I'm not running the same load as the one at work. The 8-core at work is a graphics machine, running after effects for some pretty intense work. The workstation is in a little room with no carpet and bare walls so any sound is very noticeable and the MP is silent.

I'll keep checking on it, though. I want to make sure it's not having any of the monitor issues, but I'll ask again about the noise.

4. gameface macrumors 6502

got a '10 4-core 2.8 w/5770. No problems thus far. But I am only powering my Dell u2711 with the 5770. My HDTV is running through my MXo2 along with my KRK monitors so I guess I can't comment on the sound issue. :D

5. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

gameface, does that u2711 plug into the mini display port? Just curious.

6. gameface macrumors 6502

Nope I ran it through the DVI. I had a problem with the MDP on a mac mini giving me the multicolored snow issue on wake up so I didn't want to deal with it. But people have been having problems with even the DVI on the '09 models. It isn't a new issue, it just seems to be more wide spread now. But maybe that is because we have all been waiting so long for the update, everyone is getting their new rigs at the same time. :D

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1947029&start=0&tstart=0