Two 23.6" TN LEDs or One 27" IPS LED?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Misskitty, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Misskitty, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

Misskitty macrumors 6502

Which would you go with? This is for a friend who has a 13" MBP and its for her desk.

Costs:
    Two 23.6" TN mid grade LEDs - $350 for both (Asus brand)
    One 27" IPS entry level LED - $200 for one (HP brand...she doesnt like HP but its cheap!)

Both monitors are 1080P and have HDMI and both equally as thin.

Shes also open to one of the end brands like AOC, 29" Ultrawide monitors that have a 2560x1080 res. Primarily because it will save desk space, but she will only pay the premium if its worth it.

Her biggest benefit she sees in going with one 27" is not only the IPS, but it takes up much less space than two 23.6s" She really wants to keep her computer setup in minimalist form if she can. Wants to keep the clutter to a minimum.

She doesnt want to go with two 27" IPS cause it takes up her entire desk and cost. She doesnt want to drop over $450 on monitors.

She uses her computer mostly for web, email and MS office (docs, not spreadsheets). So thats the only reason why dual monitors interests her. She said using her 13" MBP as a 2nd monitor in MS word just doesnt cut it and the difference is too huge between that and a full monitor. Its hard on her eyes going back and fourth from a 13" to a full monitor cause of the size difference. She likes surfing the web with one monitor and using the other to work away in MS office. She wants to know if its possible to do this on a single 27" or is it too crammed?

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

what is the resolution of both monitors?

if the 27" is, like, 2560x1440 then it would be easier to multitask on than if it was just a bigger 1080p monitor (which the 24" probably are)

3. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Both are the same, 1920x1080.

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Since the 27" is only 1080p, can't you get 2x 24" IPS @ 1080p?

Once you go IPS you can never go back to TN. The difference is just too noticeable.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A lot really depends on how large she wants things on the screen and how good her eyesight is. With 2 monitors you get a visual separation that's convenient and allows each app to work on the whole screen. When working on a single screen you have to fiddle with each app to get it to the right size for what you're doing. The main issue is web pages that don't display well in smaller windows.

I don't like mismatched monitor sizes. That's why I run my MBP in clamshell mode with a 24" ACD. Working with a 15" monitor alongside a 24" is too much of a hassle.

Since she likes the clean desk look, I'd suggest the single monitor.

6. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

if you're paying $350 for 2 TN 23'' monitors you are getting royally screwed.

Two 23'' IPS can be had easily for $275, or sometimes $250.

7. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? For instance I have a MBP with TN panel and I put that next to my ipad air and i cant tell the difference aside from my ipad air being retina.

----------

We're in Canada.

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Really. MBP's screens are exceptionally good, for TN panels.
    But the biggest benefit isn't looking straight on: it's looking at it angled. Your MBP screen will more easily lose brightness and distort colors.

9. Misskitty, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

But shes like me, sits in front of the monitor, not to the side. I know what you mean but the whole angle thing ive never understood. Its a desk monitor that keeps you stationary, not the living room tv. :p

Now, if IPS has sharper text like retina, than i could see it being worth it.

What do you think of the ultrawide monitors? Are they worth it? Any benefit they have over say 2 LEDs?

10. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

1080p at 27" will look like crap as a monitor. Sure, the IPS colors will be good, but there will be relatively little usable screen real estate, and everything will look big and pixelated.

I’d recommend she get two Dell IPS monitors, either the 21.5" S2240M or, if she wants HDMI, the 23" 2340L. Dell makes great screens, the reviews on those are phenomenal, and the prices are quite reasonable (even more so if your friend is okay buying used, though I don’t know that I would.)

If she’s willing to pay around $400 and doesn’t mind a matte finish, there are some great deals on Monoprice.com for 2560×1440 IPS screens. But overall I’d say a pair of Dell IPS screens is the way to go.

11. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

People never sit straight on. You'll always move around a bit – even if just to rest some muscles – and when you do, you'll notice. But it's your money and your gift. I gave my opinion.

12. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

You can't really sit in front of the monitor in a dual-monitor setup.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

In a 2 monitor setup, one will always be somewhat to the side. Some TN displays are better than others. Some suck when it comes to off angle viewing, so I would definitely be careful to read up on what you're going to buy.

14. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Go look at an actual TN monitor. I’m running a 30” IPS that’s calibrated. I can shift in my seat and the screen stays the same. With a TN screen you can lean a little one direction and the monitor with look different in some areas. I have a Macbook that if the screen tilts slightly one way or another the brightness or colors fade or change. It’s definitely a TN screen. I can kick back with my rMBP and shift the screen and there’s no change.

There’s a good reason why 9 times out of 10 people that want quality in a screen or need accurate brightness and color representation for any kind of visual editing will be using an IPS panel. The 10th instance is generally because of the cost.

There's a good reason I spent over $1000 on a 30" IPS panel rather than $200 on a 27" TN.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

With it is just the angles there are cheaper alternatives often.
    A-MVA is just as good if looked at from an angle.
    eIPS or ah-ips is cheap and has the good viewing angles.

Any half decent TN Panel delivers the same fairly poor contrast IPS have. If you use a Monitor primarily for codeing (for which color accuracy doesn't matter) and watching videos (hulu, netflix, youtube, ...) at night A-MVA is the best bet. The high static contrast beats anything else.

Quite honestly
    I would prefer the contrast of A-MVA. The human visual system depends on contrast far more than on colors and IPS isn't all that great. If it is supposed to be cost effective I don't get why everybody here acts as if IPS is the only thing out there. Apple only uses IPS but there is more and there are various quality ranges.
    Desktop TN Panels are usually also even at low prices far better than those that you find in cheap notebooks. There is a huge difference in contrast and viewing angles.

TN is also still best for gaming although the newest a-mva panels are supposed to be quite fast too.