Two accounts sharing one iTunes library/database

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flynz4, Nov 18, 2009.

1. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I will soon be setting up an 27" iMac i7 as a single home computer to store the "original copies" of all our important media and documents... as well as being a convenient place to edit pictures and other complex jobs. I will set up two accounts, one each for my wife an I so that we have our own environments to augment our personal laptops (MBP/MBA). This computer will have a good automatic onsite & offisite backup strategy in place to protect our data. We can also share personal data with our laptops via iDisk in Mobile Me.

We will want to keep most things separate... but we do have some data that is shared between the two of us. One particular example is our iTunes music collection.

Now for my question: Is there a way to have both accounts on this computer use the same iTunes library AND also the same database? What I would like is that if either of us is using the computer in our own account... that we see the exact same iTunes library/database. Hence, for example, if either of us buys more music, that we would both see the new music.

If this is not possible... I will just load the music into one account... and use sharing on the other account. Managing two independent databases is too complex, and can lead to losing data.

I currently have a similar setup with a PC... with the data only loaded into one of our accounts. I figured that since I am moving fully to the iMac, then it might be a good time to make an improvement with our music as well.

Thanks in advance.

/Jim

2. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

I do not think that does what I am looking for. If I understand it correctly... this will let two iTunes accounts share the one common directory of music files... but there would still be two different iTunes libraries. Hence.... if I did this and purchased some music on my account... then it would not automatically show up in my wife's iTunes.

In other words... the procedure you referenced still has two iTunes XML directories... but shares a single set of music files. I just want both accounts to have the identical iTunes (including the xml file).

/Jim

3. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

I spent some time at the Apple store today discussing this. While we can certainly have the actual audio files in a single shared location... we cannot have a common iTunes instantiation across our two accounts. If one person was to add music to the library... the other would not be able to automatically have their xml database automatically update.

I think that I will just install the music into my account, and then let my wife access the music from her account via sharing. Any music which is added or edited will have to occur via my account.

/Jim

4. Asipper macrumors newbie

Maybe is shares them like it does with 2 diffrent computers