Two Address books same user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigbadneil, Aug 20, 2009.

1. bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

Is it possible to have two address books when logged on as a single user??
    I want one address book to sync with my Blackberry and one to sync using mobileMe to my iPhone???

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

if your using mobile for iphone, why do you need to set it up on your computer?

just add the contacts to mobileme.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't think it's possible in the same user account unless you use an alternate address book such as Entourage to sync your Blackberry to.

You could set up various groups in Address Book and sync only specific groups to your Blackberry, but MobileMe will still sync everything.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I know that you can use groups to sync with iPhone and BB. However, the over-the-air may not work with MobileMe. Google exchange CAN let you choose OTA which group syncs.

5. devburke Guest

Well you could do this (though it's kind of a workaround):

Oh, and I should add before you start doing it, that I don't have MobileMe, so I can't promise no complications will arise there.

Open Address Book and go to File > Export > Address Book Archive...

Save your Address Book file somewhere, and give it a name to specify iPhone or Blackberry (I'll just say you saved it as your iPhone address book from here on out), or however you wanna name it. Save it wherever makes sense for you.

Now go back to Address Book, and set up your AB for your Blackberry. Do the same as above, but name it for your Blackberry. You now have two separate Address Book archives stored.

Whenever you want to switch which one you're working with, go to File > Import > Address Book Archive... and load it up. But be sure to export the one you're currently in first, cuz the changes aren't saved to the archive. You probably just want to overwrite the previous version.

Then, whenever you want to sync your Blackberry, load up the Blackberry AB. Whenever you want to sync up your iPhone, load the iPhone AB. Again, I can't promise this won't get sticky with MobileMe. My best guess would be to be careful only to sync with MobileMe when you have the iPhone AB loaded.