Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey everyone,

I currently have an airport express brand new. Connected to the modem.

Then I have another in the middle floor set up to extend the wireless network.

Problem is the signal is weak on the top floor.

I was wondering if I can keep everything as it is; but plug a home plug into the main airport port (the Ethernet port that isn't connected to the modem) while still having it send internet wirelessly upstairs?

Thanks for any help :)

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
yes, that's what it's there for.

Thanks. . I'm just wondering though. . .how much internet does the wifi that's connected to the modem, and the homeplugs send to the homeplugs, and how much does it send to the other airport :S

Thanks for your help!

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks. . I'm just wondering though. . .how much internet does the wifi that's connected to the modem, and the homeplugs send to the homeplugs, and how much does it send to the other airport :S

Thanks for your help!

All of the internet.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's the same as if you plugged 2 lamps into the same outlet. do the only go to half brightness?

although you do have a maximum download speed (determined by your MODEM and internet provider), which all your devices share. if one device is using a lot of bandwidth, there won't be as much for the others to share. But once that device slows it's usage, the bandwidth will become available for the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.