Two Airport Extreme Questions

HardwareFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Hi,
I have two questions regarding the potential purchase of an Airport Extreme:

1) Have there been any posts around here on when we might see a new version of the Airport Extreme? (I can't locate any). I'm wondering if I should wait a month or two before picking one up.

2) I have never actually handled a network built around an Extreme and I'm debating how many clients I want to hardwire in. I know I will hardwire in a NAS, an HTPC, and an XBOX360. I will perhaps also want to hardwire in a mac desktop and a time capsule. So my question(s) is: does the extreme need a gigaswitch to properly handle the traffic from the hardwired clients? and which switches generally seem to work best with apple's products? I will have pc's on the network wirelessly.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

1) Have there been any posts around here on when we might see a new version of the Airport Extreme? (I can't locate any). I'm wondering if I should wait a month or two before picking one up.

2) I have never actually handled a network built around an Extreme and I'm debating how many clients I want to hardwire in. I know I will hardwire in a NAS, an HTPC, and an XBOX360. I will perhaps also want to hardwire in a mac desktop and a time capsule. So my question(s) is: does the extreme need a gigaswitch to properly handle the traffic from the hardwired clients? and which switches generally seem to work best with apple's products? I will have pc's on the network wirelessly.

1) Doubtful, no real need for hardware updates to the current Airport lineup.

2) If you might be picking up a Time Capsule anyway, why bother getting an Airport Extreme when the Time Capsule will do the same AND be it's own external hard drive?

HardwareFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
1) Doubtful, no real need for hardware updates to the current Airport lineup.

2) If you might be picking up a Time Capsule anyway, why bother getting an Airport Extreme when the Time Capsule will do the same AND be it's own external hard drive?
I have a 3rd gen Time capsule already - my understanding is that the latest Extreme has superior routing capabilities (better equipment inside). Is that not the case? This review http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/...and-time-capsule-4th-gen-review-faster-wifi-/ is what I've seen on the topic.

Last edited:

michelg1970

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Gouda - The Netherlands
Hi,

No need to hardwire a Time Capsule to your extreme: just plug in a USB hard disk in the USB port and the AE becomes a time machine. Works for me.

Any AE and TM have only four LAN connection of which one is reserved for WAN so basically you can only hard wire 3 machines into one AE. Any better brand gigabit switch will do. I use a net gear switch and have now 6 hardwired connections without any problems (for normal use). Don't expect all hardwires running at full load to give 1 Gb/s at the same time though!

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
802.11ac will be the next update to the AirPort line. When this happens is anyone's guess. Have a look into 802.11ac and see if you feel it's worth waiting for, if not, go for one now.

Question two has been sufficiently covered above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.