Two Airport Extreme Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HardwareFan, May 30, 2012.

1. HardwareFan macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have two questions regarding the potential purchase of an Airport Extreme:

1) Have there been any posts around here on when we might see a new version of the Airport Extreme? (I can't locate any). I'm wondering if I should wait a month or two before picking one up.

2) I have never actually handled a network built around an Extreme and I'm debating how many clients I want to hardwire in. I know I will hardwire in a NAS, an HTPC, and an XBOX360. I will perhaps also want to hardwire in a mac desktop and a time capsule. So my question(s) is: does the extreme need a gigaswitch to properly handle the traffic from the hardwired clients? and which switches generally seem to work best with apple's products? I will have pc's on the network wirelessly.

2. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

1) Doubtful, no real need for hardware updates to the current Airport lineup.

2) If you might be picking up a Time Capsule anyway, why bother getting an Airport Extreme when the Time Capsule will do the same AND be it's own external hard drive?

3. HardwareFan, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

HardwareFan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 3rd gen Time capsule already - my understanding is that the latest Extreme has superior routing capabilities (better equipment inside). Is that not the case? This review http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/...and-time-capsule-4th-gen-review-faster-wifi-/ is what I've seen on the topic.

4. michelg1970 macrumors regular

michelg1970

No need to hardwire a Time Capsule to your extreme: just plug in a USB hard disk in the USB port and the AE becomes a time machine. Works for me.

Any AE and TM have only four LAN connection of which one is reserved for WAN so basically you can only hard wire 3 machines into one AE. Any better brand gigabit switch will do. I use a net gear switch and have now 6 hardwired connections without any problems (for normal use). Don't expect all hardwires running at full load to give 1 Gb/s at the same time though!

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

802.11ac will be the next update to the AirPort line. When this happens is anyone's guess. Have a look into 802.11ac and see if you feel it's worth waiting for, if not, go for one now.

Question two has been sufficiently covered above.