TWO amazon.com listings for RETINA.... whats the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sap12690, Mar 7, 2013.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

So amazon has two different listings for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro

One is $1,699.00 and the other is $1,519.99

I can not seem to figure out what the difference between them is. PLEASE HELP!!

2. Liquinn Suspended

The first link is the latest and the greatest.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The more expensive has 2.6Ghz CPU while the other has 2.5Ghz CPU. It does not appear to be only for educational institutes.

4. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

The more expensive one is newer. Apple recently upgraded the Retina's with a slight spec bump. The newer one has a 2.6GHz processor compared to the 2.5 in the older one.

EDIT: Sorry, question answered while I was writing my response...

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Oops. :eek:

When I searched for the model number of the cheaper one, Apple.com links were all broken except for those identified as being for Educational Institutions. But thinking about it now, assuming the more expensive one is indeed newer, it would make sense that Apple's product pages would feature that newer one and no longer do so for the older one.

Anyway, thanks for the correction!

6. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont know much about those numbers and what exactly it is that they do..... but is the difference that big that it will effect the performance? its a pretty decent price difference between the two

7. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The difference is so miniscule, probably not. It ultimately depends on what kind of processes your daily routine consists of.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you don't know what the numbers mean, you probably don't need the power of a Retina MBP in the first place, so buy whichever one is cheaper.

9. patrickoneal macrumors newbie

There isn't much difference. If you want the best deal buy a refurb for even less:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...z-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

If you have a discover card, buy through the shopdiscover portal to get 5% back. If you don't have a discover card, I've had luck buying Apple Store gift cards from plasticjungle.com for 5% off. https://www.plasticjungle.com/gift-card/Apple-Store-gift-cards?SEARCH_STRING=apple store (not itunes) Though none are available at the moment.

10. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

As some have noted...the more expensive one is an early 2013 model, while the other is a late 2012 model.

The difference is really minor to be honest...I'd say save some money and snatch up the 2012...