Two App Ideas / Already Available for OS X???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacVault, Apr 18, 2007.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

1) App for bulk scanning / processing of small items, such as receipts, notes, etc: Rather than scanning each little receipt, note, etc, user would simply lay multiple items on flatbed scanner or take picture with digital camera of all items. This application would then automatically decide where the borders of the items are, show the user a preview, the user would have the option to adjust the areas of interest, then the program would process the image and break each receipt, etc into individual files and save as jpg/pdf/etc as defined by user. Is there anything already available like this? If not for Mac OS X then how about for Windows <cringe>???

2) App which would accomplish locally (as in: on my Mac) the same thing done by ScanR - take a jpg from a digital camera or phone camera and process it with OCR, etc, and turn it into a PDF. ScanR is a great idea but for security reasons there are some personal documents I am not so keen on emailing over the internet. Any apps like this available for Mac OS X??? How about for Windows <cringe>???

The above two ideas could probably be combined into one app.

2. The General macrumors 601

1) Scan all the photos, create a Photoshop action to cut them out into individual photos. Just press play.

2) Adobe Acrobat Professional. Create PDF -> select all the images.

3. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking something a little more specialized for the task and not so $pendy as Photoshop. But thanks for the suggestion :)

4. The General macrumors 601

I think you can do the same thing with the Gimp. I just assumed you already had Photoshop.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

This is probably specific to Canon scanners, but I just hooked mine up to my mac, installed Canon's Canoscan Toolbox, and after doing a few small photos, I figured out that I could put three or four on the scanner, as long as there was about a half inch space between them, and it would scan them and then save them as well defined separate picture files.

Great tool.

The toolbox may work with other scanners with a little tweaking, haven't tried that.

Brian