Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two of Apple's ads are in the running to receive the 2019 Outstanding Commercial Emmy. Both of the ads were created by TBWA/Media Arts Lab, Apple's longtime advertising partner.

The first ad nominated for the award is Apple's "Make Something Wonderful" MacBook ad, released late last year. In the spot, which is in black and white, various creative personalities and people are shown with their Mac devices.

The second ad nominated for the award is one of Apple's "Shot on iPhone" spots, specifically "Don't Mess With Mother," an April 2019 video featuring imagery of nature from around the world set to the song "Last Rites" by Megadeth.

Apple will be competing with ad spots from Netflix (A Great Day in Hollywood), Nike (Dream Crazy), and and the "Point of View" video from Sandy Hook Promise, a non-profit organization.

In 2018, Apple was nominated for an Outstanding Commercial Emmy for its "Earth: Shot on iPhone" ad, but ultimately lost to an ad from P&G.

Article Link: Two Apple Ads Nominated for Outstanding Commercial Emmy Award

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Interesting to see that mostly every MacBook in the first ad still featured the shining Apple logo. So, is it about the good old times?!
That was my thought as well! Love it or hate it, the illuminated Apple logo on the Macbooks were some of the best free advertising Apple could have given themselves. It literally drew your attention to the notebook when you walked into a room.

Weird they did away with that.

Reactions: class77

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I refuse to argue with you as you are clearly refusing to see my point.
Why not specify what you think would be better or why the most profitable company in the world needs your or the 5 year old kid's advice on creativity for product marketing?

I mean, if you have no substance, don't post this kind of hyperbole.

I call you out on it and now you refuse to discuss further. You didn't even make a point. You made a broad generalization with zero facts to back it up.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
Why not specify what you think would be better or why the most profitable company in the world needs your or the 5 year old kid's advice on creativity for product marketing?

I mean, if you have no substance, don't post this kind of hyperbole.

I call you out on it and now you refuse to discuss further. You didn't even make a point. You made a broad generalization with zero facts to back it up.

Where did I state that apple needs mine or a 5 year olds advice on creativity? I didn’t.

I think you’re reading to deep in to my post... I am simply telling you that I have seen more creativity from a 5 year old than the creativity shown from these adverts.

I accept your apology in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PC_tech

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Where did I state that apple needs mine or a 5 year olds advice on creativity? I didn’t.

I think you’re reading to deep in to my post... I am simply telling you that I have seen more creativity from a 5 year old than the creativity shown from these adverts.

I accept your apology in advance.
I'm glad we agree your post was just a lot of hyperbole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: citysnaps

Scooby_Snacks

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
The other ads that are up for Emmys (Netflix, Nike, Sandyhook) are highly politicized and while important in their messages, I actually prefer the simplicity and beauty in both of Apple's ads. I'm surprised that AirPods Bounce didn't make it as a finalist. I thought that ad was fun and ingenious.

Reactions: I7guy and Tom620

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Interesting to see that mostly every MacBook in the first ad still featured the shining Apple logo. So, is it about the good old times?!

Yep, and I presume it shows that they struggled to find any famous creatives using the newer Apple laptops. Retina MBP, the best Apple laptop to date. RIP.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The other ads that are up for Emmys (Netflix, Nike, Sandyhook) are highly politicized and while important in their messages, I actually prefer the simplicity and beauty in both of Apple's ads. I'm surprised that AirPods Bounce didn't make it as a finalist. I thought that ad was fun and ingenious.
Presumably there's a cutoff date after which entries aren't eligible until the following year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.