Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
This is related to Homekit. I finally setup a guest network, moved everything (mostly) iOT to the guest network. Ecobees were moved over, they work fine with remote access no issue. Trouble is they want to be on the same wifi network as the home hub. (Apple TV).

Well, I have two so I moved one to the guest network and left one on the private network. Seems to be ok. Only fail so far was a lamp that did not turn on at 6:30 or off at 8:00AM.

Have you guys tried any of this with two networks or am I on my own? Worst case I could move the Ecobees back to the main network but don't want to.

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you mean that when they’re on the same network they want to be the hub? In that case if you have more than one hub, for example I have 2 Apple TV and 2 HomePod. In the Home app if you tap on the little house icon on the top left corner you will see your hubs. One of my HomePod is always a hub and the rest of the devices say standby. They will automatically switch as needed. But if you don’t want that you can go into settings on one of your Apple TV and disconnect it from HomeKit.

No need to have them on different networks.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you mean that when they’re on the same network they want to be the hub? In that case if you have more than one hub, for example I have 2 Apple TV and 2 HomePod. In the Home app if you tap on the little house icon on the top left corner you will see your hubs. One of my HomePod is always a hub and the rest of the devices say standby. They will automatically switch as needed. But if you don’t want that you can go into settings on one of your Apple TV and disconnect it from HomeKit.

No need to have them on different networks.
Thanks for the reply. I have put them back to the way it was before.
What I was trying to do was make devices on my guest network viewable in the home app at the same time as the devices on my normal home network. I moved some of my HomeKit enabled devices to my guest network because you can still reach them via the internet and their related service. I didn't think about something like Ecobee needing to be on the same wifi network as my AppleTV in order to see the sensors in the Home app. I thought it would populate that info via the internet. So I put one AppleTV on my guest network and one on my home network. Doing that I was able to see my devices again. Issue came later when the TV on my guest network became primary and could not reach my lighting hub on the internal network. The automations were failing. I assumed (incorrectly) that my internal TV would pick up that task since it could see the devices in the automation. It won't. My internal devices are fine if my internal TV is primary but I have no control over that. So, in the end both AppleTV's and the Ecobee thermos are on my internal network so it all works again. I will find a way at some point to get the final iOT devices off my network but it will be a future project.

Reactions: roncito

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
Thanks for the reply. I have put them back to the way it was before.
What I was trying to do was make devices on my guest network viewable in the home app at the same time as the devices on my normal home network. I moved some of my HomeKit enabled devices to my guest network because you can still reach them via the internet and their related service. I didn't think about something like Ecobee needing to be on the same wifi network as my AppleTV in order to see the sensors in the Home app. I thought it would populate that info via the internet. So I put one AppleTV on my guest network and one on my home network. Doing that I was able to see my devices again. Issue came later when the TV on my guest network became primary and could not reach my lighting hub on the internal network. The automations were failing. I assumed (incorrectly) that my internal TV would pick up that task since it could see the devices in the automation. It won't. My internal devices are fine if my internal TV is primary but I have no control over that. So, in the end both AppleTV's and the Ecobee thermos are on my internal network so it all works again. I will find a way at some point to get the final iOT devices off my network but it will be a future project.

Gotcha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.