Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maria122285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2013
This may sound like a dumb question, but I really want to get an apple TV I have my main apple ID account I want to use it with, where all my movies are which will be upstairs in my room and I would like to run my apple id (and iTunes) and my ipad mini on it ( via airplay i think) thats fine. But downstairs on a diffrent tv i want to get another apple tv that would be logged on to my itunes account, sometimes at the same time, watching things from my iTunes. Now i have a ipad retnia display that is linked to another apple id which has no purchases that i want to be able to airplay onto the regular tv via the apple TV. but can i still log on two the apple tv downstairs with the same itunes account on the apple tv upstairs? sorry if the question is confusing.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
This may sound like a dumb question, but I really want to get an apple TV I have my main apple ID account I want to use it with, where all my movies are which will be upstairs in my room and I would like to run my apple id (and iTunes) and my ipad mini on it ( via airplay i think) thats fine. But downstairs on a diffrent tv i want to get another apple tv that would be logged on to my itunes account, sometimes at the same time, watching things from my iTunes. Now i have a ipad retnia display that is linked to another apple id which has no purchases that i want to be able to airplay onto the regular tv via the apple TV. but can i still log on two the apple tv downstairs with the same itunes account on the apple tv upstairs? sorry if the question is confusing.

I have five Apple TVs all logged into the same account, l can access all my paid or content perfectly. You will be able to AirPlay your content from your ipad from a different Apple ID, however I'm not sure if you will run into problems if its protected content purchased from iTunes..,

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As above...we have 2 ATV 3's with two accounts on each..one mine, one my fiancees....they can both use either account simultaneously, or log in to mine in the bedroom, or hers in the living room etc. Your setup will work fine.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I think another point being asked was can you stream media from a mobile device that isn't on the same iTunes account as the Apple TV? And the answer is yes. Devices can stream to any Apple TV (unless someone puts a passcode on it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.