Two Apple TVs w/ same Apple ID on same network

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kgruv, Apr 7, 2018.

1. kgruv macrumors newbie

I am considering buying another Apple TV for a second tv in my house. My question is if I have both ATVs on the same network and use the same Apple ID will they kind of mirror each other? Not that I want to watch the same show on both ATVs at the same time but rather I am hopping to avoid setting up another ATV so that it will match my current one. If I would have to set it up that’s not too big of a deal but will the TV app track what I am watching between the two ATVs. So if I start a show or movie on one ATV will it pop up on the other ATV’s TV app so I can continue to watch where I left off? Same for other Apps like HBO. Can I start a show on one ATV and pick it up on the other one? Lots of questions, sorry for the confusion. Thanks!

2. chrfr macrumors 604

Yes, if you’re signed into iCloud with the first one, when you set up the second, you’ll be asked if you want that one to match the first.

3. kgruv thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks!!

4. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

That certainly works for movies and TV shows in your own library, I have an Apple TV in the living room and bedroom and frequently move between them and continue watching the same thing. It actually works across all my devices, I can watch part of a movie on my MacBook Air or Mini, then pick up where I left off on either Apple TV. But just to be clear, this isn't anything like "mirroring". You have to pick the same movie on the second Apple TV, then it will ask if you want to resume watching or start from the beginning.

Don't know about apps like HBO, since I don't use them.

5. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

A caveat or two are in order.

With current versions of tvOS, you can mirror the home screen, meaning the arrangement of apps and folders will appear the same on both ATV. Settings > Account > iCloud > One Home Screen.

And, when you purchase a new app on one, it will download to the other. Settings > Apps > Automatically Install\update Apps.

But, you still have to activate apps on each ATV if the provider requires activation or login.

Once setup, any app that keeps track of what you have viewed by your account (iTunes, netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, etc) will bookmark favorites and progress on individual shows or movies. This is not universally true, but for the most part it will.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

^^^this.

But be prepared. If you use screen mirroring and someone else does something such as add/delete and app it will change the home screen on all the ATVs.

My recommendation would be to enable screen mirroring and remove the thumbs of the others in the household. However that may be a little more work than moving some icons around.