Two Apple Watches, One iPhone and Activity Tracking...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JoelBC, Oct 18, 2018.

1. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

I have an Apple Watch Series 2 that is slightly banged up from the gym...

I have a new Apple Watch Series 4 that I have just purchased...

I would like to know whether I can do the following:

a) sync my Series 2 and my Series 4 to the same iPhone;

b) wear my Series 2 to track my activity while I am at the gym;

c) wear my Series 4 to track my activity while I am not at the gym; and

d) have the Activity App record and show teh combined activity of both watches?

Is this, or something like this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

2. lparis macrumors newbie

lparis

Both your watches can be synced to your phone at the same time, but only one can be activated. If you are wearing only one of them, the phone will auto link with it. If you switch watches the phone will auto link to the one you just put on. If you are wearing both at the same time the phone will only link with one of them. You can chose which one is activated in the iPhone watch app. The data from both watches will be captured by the phone and loaded to both watches when they are available.

3. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the very helpful and very timely response...

Just to make sure I am clear...is my understanding correct that:

a) as long as I only wear one watch at a time the iPhone will auto select / auto sync to that one watch; and

b) the cumulative activity data (i..e. move, exercise and stand) will be sync to and be displayed on whichever watch I am wearing as well as on the iPhone?

TIA,

Joel

4. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

a) Yes
    b) Yes
    c) Yes
    d) Yes

After you have paired both watches to your iPhone, what you want happens automatically. The only restriction is that you wear one watch at a time, which is what you want (and the logical way to handle two paired watches).

5. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! That is great and much appreciated!

Joel

6. lparis macrumors newbie

lparis

Correct.

7. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, much appreciated...

Very much looking forward to getting it setup seeing the two watches operate as you describe...

8. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I took receipt of AW 4 yesterday upgrading from AW 2 just as you did. I can also confirm it works, the auto switch feature is nice. One thing I noticed was the data on the phone merged. Stand hours indices that I had on AW 2 did not show on AW 4 but the total displayed correctly, if that makes sense.

9. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the response...

On the Stand Hours, do you mean a) the total stand hours on the AW 4 were correct but b) the individual stand hour bars on the AW 4 were not correct (AW 4 did not properly show the individual stand hour bars from the AW 2). Is this correct and, if not, then please explain what I am misunderstanding.

Thanks,

Joel

10. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

A is what I was getting at. The total stand hours on AW 4 were correct but the individual stand hour bars on AW 4 were not correct. It did not synch the hour bars from AW 2 prior to delivery of the AW 4. Again though, the total was accurate. I don't know if this is normal or if it was anomaly since this is my first experience with two watches. Not a deal breaker to me one way or another. To be honest, having the larger screen and speed of AW 4 is going to make it difficult for me to want to put on AW 2 again. :)

11. nicho macrumors 68020

I believe he means this, but it's also not my experience. It may not work on the day you first pair the watch, but on subsequent days both the totals and the bars will sync across in full.

12. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Thanks for this, I was wondering if that had something to do with it given that I just received/paired AW 4 yesterday. Glad to know that going forward, the bars will sync across in full. Much appreciated!

13. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

I have two series 4 watches. Before that a series 2 and series 3. I keep cellular active on one of them and use that for runs and rides. I switch between the two just about daily. I put the one I'm wearing on airplane mode, put it on the charger to 100% and put it away. While it is charging, I grab the other one and put it on. With auto switch on it just takes a few mins for that day's activity to sync over the current watch. Works well.....

14. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to close this out -- it works perfectly and as advertised. The synced of the MOVE, EXERCISE and STAND has been working seamlessly!