Two Applications Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrothgar, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I'm not sure where to post this. I've got a 4 or 5 year old 17" macbook pro. I'm running 10.5.8. I dropped it a few days ago and the corner is dented. But everything works fine, except Evernote and VM Fusion. When I start Evernote, it opens, but I can't read any of my notes. When I try to start VM Fusion, I just get a message that the application quit unexpectedly. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both, but I get the same problem. I tried restoring them both from Time Machine. No go.

Any ideas? Should I post this in the OSX forum?

Thanks.

2. wegster macrumors 6502

Just a guess, but I'd run disk utility against it, or other software to check the hard drive, it's possible the drive head crashed and caused some data issues on the drive.

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. It stopped the scan because the folder count didn't match. What does that mean? I guess I need the start up disk? How do I know whether the hard drive itself is damaged? And, if the hard drive were damaged, but only where these two programs were stored, shouldn't I be able to re-download them somewhere else on the drive? Everything else I've checked worked fine.

I assume that it is two much of a coincidence to think that two applications went hincky at the same time? I don't want to spend money buying support from VM Fusion.

4. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and that seems to have solved my problem. The applications are working, and when I ran Disk Verify, it said that my hard drive was fine.

I did have to restart the upgrade three times before it finished, but all seems well now.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

A head crash renders the entire disk dead.