two (basically unrelated) AppleCare questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rainedallnight, Jun 12, 2012.

1. rainedallnight macrumors newbie

Hello, I have two questions related to AppleCare coverage.

1. I have a problem wherein part of my headphones broke off in my MBP's headphone jack and is now stuck in there. I'd like to take it in to get it removed. Online, other people who have had this problem sometimes report that the genius bar has covered it under applecare, whereas others have said it hasn't been covered (instead being ruled user error). If I take it in and it isn't covered by applecare, that's fine, but my question is, could that adversely affect my applecare coverage for future problems? In other words, if I bring in the MBP now, they fix it but charge me because they decide the current issue is my fault / not covered by applecare... if in 3 months the display is acting up (for instance), is there a chance they wouldn't cover the future problem because they have a record of some kind of user error-caused problem in the past?

2. My AppleCare will be expiring at the beginning of August. Can I bring the MBP in to the genius bar in July with no specific problem and just ask them to look it over for any incipient issues before it passes out of warranty? Or do they not really do this?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Take it to Apple and ask nicely. They may help you out free, even if it's a user problem. As for future problems, they would have to determine that the user caused such problems.

2. It doesn't hurt to ask.