Two battery indicators in menu bar??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dimwhit, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've got two battery indicators in the menu bar of a MacBook here at work. See attached. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it had two batteries, but it obviously doesn't. Anyone know how to get rid of one of them?

Attached Files:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Hold down the Apple/Command key, then click and drag the one you don't want on the menu bar off of the menu bar, is will disappear.

TEG

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

No dice. That drags all of it (both battery symbols, and both percentage readouts). Something, somewhere, is creating a second icon and percentage readout, and nothing I've found can get rid of it.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Open up energy saver, and disable the built-in (horizontal) menu. It looks like some plug-in is causing the second.

TEG

5. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Nope. That disables both of them. Must be a third-party plugin causing this. I just have no idea which one.

6. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Is one related to a battery backups possibly?

7. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Nope. At least not that it should. There's isn't a battery backup for this machine, and there never has been.

8. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Upon closer examination, you may be right. I found the battery.menu file in the CoreServices file. In the package contents, there is a pdf for the second icon referring to UPS battery. So now I've just got to figure out how to shut that part off.

Thanks!

9. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

sounds dumb, but try logging out of your account, then logging back in. sometimes that fixes momentary lapses that the OS has for me.

10. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

Yeah, that's supposed to show up when the computer's attached to an UPS. You might want to open up the com.apple.menuextra.battery.plist file and see what exactly is in it. My bet is that the UPS option somehow was switched on.

This is the contents of the com.apple.menuextra.battery.plist file for my MBP:

bplist00Ò[ShowPercentXShowTimeRNO
    "