Two big questions about "The Daily" ...?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by canyonblue737, Feb 2, 2011.

1. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

1. I am using the app but it is unclear if the content is being downloaded as I view it or in advance? With my WiFi only iPad can I get the content and then view it later when I have no internet connection? I understand some videos and other special media might require an internet connection but I sure hope the pictures and text can be downloaded for later viewing...

2. Does the app PUSH the new issue to the app when it is released? Can I simply turn on my iPad in the morning and assuming it had an overnight internet connection find that I have a new issue waiting, or do I have to load the app manually while I have an internet connection?

2. canyonblue737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hate when people don't look carefully before posting a question and I am guilty of breaking my own rule. I have the answers now...

1. All content other than videos and real time things like twitter feeds are downloaded to The Daily for offline viewing automatically. Excellent!

2. No push delivery of the newspaper, you have to launch the app with internet service to get it. Ok I guess, wish it could be a push model so I don't have to think about it and if the first time I do I am out of internet range it would have been nice if it had downloaded automatically earlier when I was.

Sorry.

3. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I for sure agree with #2. They need to put some sort of push notification to let you know a new version is ready to be viewed or downloaded.

I have no idea if I am viewing new material or not. I know it is a daily newspaper, but still.

4. pooryou macrumors 65816

Even if there was a push notification you would still have to launch the app for it to download the content.

5. JustLeft macrumors 6502

When I opened my app today it showed the prior days' paper. I could not find a button within the app to download the current days paper. I had to bring it up in the open tasks and kill it there, then reopen it. Maybe I am missing something?

6. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Sorry to jack your thread but how do I cancel the subscription? Do I delete the app? I looked around in the settings but to no avail.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Why/how do you have a subscription are or you asking for future reference?:confused:

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

When you download it,(i know the app is free) but is it free? or does it automatically charge you .99c a week?

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In order to be charged the App must have an up front cost and/or there must be an in App purchase made. You can't offer an App for free and then just start charging money for it. This is one BIG reason Apple is so strict on curating the App store.

10. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

yeah i understand that, but how do I know there is a new one? I don't want to have to continually open the app up to know if there is a new daily for me.

Give me a push notification that says, dude download me again. (okay a little overboard but you get my point)

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Thank you.