Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Asked this in Studio thread but no answer. When I try and put my Studio to sleep using the Apple menu sleep command, sometimes it works on the first try and sometimes it takes as many as 5 or 6 tries before it works. Have tried numerous configurations in the Energy pane but it is still happening. My other question is photos in folders that I add to the Desktop and Screensaver pane in System Preference keep disappearing. I have to continually re-add the folders which brings back all the photos but if I check later same result. Tried searching but just can't find any help. Thanks.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have the same experience with putting my MBA to sleep via the Apple menu and via a Hot Corner. More often than not it will go to the sign in screen. I thought it might be due to slightly bumping the laptop as I set it down after the sleep command, but if it's happening with a desktop too, I guess that's not a factor.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Do you have Power Nap enabled in the Energy Saver settings? I could be some app you have running is keeping the Mac from going to sleep.

If you try to put the Mac to sleep and it doesn't work the first time, bring up Activity Monitor and Click on the Energy tab and see if any of the apps are showing Yes under the Preventing Sleep column.

You may also want to read Mac refusing to sleep? Figure out what’s keeping macOS awake.

Reactions: armhol

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Do you have Power Nap enabled in the Energy Saver settings? I could be some app you have running is keeping the Mac from going to sleep.

If you try to put the Mac to sleep and it doesn't work the first time, bring up Activity Monitor and Click on the Energy tab and see if any of the apps are showing Yes under the Preventing Sleep column.

You may also want to read Mac refusing to sleep? Figure out what’s keeping macOS awake.
Don't see Power Nap anywhere in Energy setting. I have all the boxes checked right now but have also tried unchecking them all and different combinations with no success. Did go to the activity monitor and everything is showing no under app nap column. Thanks fo the help.

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
I have the same experience with putting my MBA to sleep via the Apple menu and via a Hot Corner. More often than not it will go to the sign in screen. I thought it might be due to slightly bumping the laptop as I set it down after the sleep command, but if it's happening with a desktop too, I guess that's not a factor.
After you click on sleep, you have to make sure not to move cursor or click on keyboard. I think it's made like this so that if you unintentionally click on sleep you get a bail out time window.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What do you see in Activity Monitor for sleep? I was having a similar problem with my Studio but fixed it after closing my user programs that were preventing sleep. These system processes seem to be ok with sleep.

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 6.52.47 PM.png

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I ran into this occasionally so I started putting my Studio to sleep by pressing the "touch" button with a finger other than the one I use to activate my system and then the "esc" key. That puts it to sleep and it stays.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
My 2015 MacBook Air has been unreliable for sleep mode pretty much since I got it. Plugged into a desktop monitor so maybe that's why? I used to think it was because it was sensitive to movement but that doesn't seem to be the reason. I eventually put it down to a software problem related to the presence of the external monitor.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Apple: "pmset manages power management settings such as idle sleep timing, wake
on administrative access, automatic restart on power loss, etc.

Note that processes may dynamically override these power management
settings by using I/O Kit power assertions. Whenever processes override
any system power settings, pmset will list those processes and their
power assertions in -g and -g assertions."

Running pmset -g assertions in Terminal should give a clue to what is preventing sleep

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
There's also an app called Sleep Aid that might be able to help. It's not free though. It does have a 14 day free trial which might be long enough to figure out what the problem is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.