Two button click for multitasking is annoying...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, May 10, 2010.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I feel like after awhile of double clicking the home button to bring up the multitasking menu my iPhone's home button is gonna break. Why can't we use a two finger swipe upwards or something else that flows better. Is anyone else annoyed by this?

2. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

There's not really any other solution to invoking the quick app switcher other than double tapping the home button. I know you mentioned a two finger swipe, but what if apps implemented this as a core control? It would conflict. Same goes for any other gesture. Stop whining about your home button, it most likely won't break. If it does, take it into Apple and they can fix it at the Genius bar!

3. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

there is always the option of jailbreaking... Then you can have the option of what kind of multitasker you want and how its activated. But if you're not wanting to do that then you will probably be out of luck.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Apple should allow a three finger swipe up to implement Multitasking. I too fear for my Home Button.

I know there are some Accessibility issues with the three finger swipe - but if Accessibility isn't enabled, it would work.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

Why not let people choose whether one tap or two invokes the task switcher or takes you back to the springboard?

6. roblawton macrumors 6502

This makes sense. One click for task switcher, two clicks for homescreen.

Voila.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I would actually like this method more also.

I mean really... How often do you see the desktop on your mac or pc? You always minimize or tab to the next window. I shouldn't compare a cellphone to a full blown computer, but the iPhone is afterall ment to be as usefull and powerful as a computer.

8. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I'm not sure what the best solution to this is but I do know I've certainly been pressing the Home button alot more with the 4.0 OS than I did before.

Poor little button's not used to it! haha

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's pretty much locked into its ui and so they don't have the options to provide that easily enough. They needed a solution that could be pulled up from any app, a two finger swipe would probably be grabbed by the application and not the app at this point in the iPhone's architecture.

10. lovemyipad macrumors member

Just download activator from cydia.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

say this post to the people who got the iphone day one and still have it.

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

And now you see why the "gesture" rumors came into play. It would be easy to use gestures on the back of the phone to do this.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right? And those of us who use double tap for iPod controls, my home button is fine after ~20 months doing so.

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

this is true, and think of how many times you hit keys on your keyboard, and click the mouse on your laptop.. they make buttons that can take allot of pushes now days.

15. Asar macrumors regular

I think 3 fingers swipe up like iteleport would be a nice option. Maybe they'll have it where you can modify it on the gold master.

16. Asar macrumors regular

Now that I read your post, Great point!

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

God, I hope that's the case with the upcoming iPhone's hardware!!!!! That'd be totally awesome.

18. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I wish we could hold down for multitasking and double for voice control... ugh.

19. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I would prefer something like pulling down on the status bar, as opposed to the home button method.

20. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Urgh this small issue is what is making me hate 4.0. I make phone calls WAY more than I need an app switcher. How do I get to my favorites now?

Why can't apple have the ingenuity of jailbreakers and come up with a different activation method than "tap home button X ammount of times."

21. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

As said earlier, screen touching, pulling, swiping, tapping, whipping, sliding won't cut it. All of that can interfere with other applications while active.

Only solution: physical buttons OR touch-sensitive casing.