Two challenges:

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Snowguy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Snowguy macrumors member

I've been kind of obsessing over what my next computer should be.

I have the following requirements:
    No system taxing productivity/creativity programs
    but must be decent/good for gaming (under bootcamp)
    Under $1500 desirable
    Preferably an i7 processor... to last a while.

I've thought of these options:
    Highend 21.5" iMac with the 2.8GHz i7, refurbished: $1450
    High end core i7 Mac Mini with display/peripherals: $1200-$1500 (monitor)
    High end Hackintosh with i7 2600K/Radeon 6870/

I'd love a high end 27" iMac... but even refurbished at $1869, it's beyond my budget at the moment.

Which would you choose?

Also, my mother has an extremely old HP laptop from like 2002 or something that takes 15 minutes to load Internet Explorer... and I'm trying to convince her to make the switch. Her income is very limited so I'm on the look out for a used notebook. Unfortunately, she is disabled and cannot use the left side of her body... so an iPad is kinda out of the question.

I was thinking perhaps a 2007-2008ish 15" macbook pro? The 13" Macbook is too small for her and the 17" is just too expensive.

Do you think that'd be a good value?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry to hear about your Mom's situation.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about your choices to be much help in that area. Just wanted to wish you and your Mom the best. :)

3. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

Yours is an easy one. Macmall still had new in box 2010 2.93 Quad i7 27" iMacs for $1499. Tons of power, plenty of graphics performance- in iMac terms- and pretty affordable.

As for a MBP for your mom, it's a matter of getting a good one. It is a 4 or more year old laptop, even if it is a rather reliable one. I'm helping my dad look for one myself right now, 15s are available for $550 or so. If she is actually ready to switch you should be able to find a quality machine for a good price.